Any fleets running Super Singles?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by CaptRon, Jun 24, 2007.

1. dancnoone

dancnoone "Village Idiot"

May 6, 2007
    Mississippi
    I drove for CFI for almost 3 years, with super singles for most of that time.

On the plus side..they are much easier to chain when needed :)

They do not wiggle all over the road when driving in rutted asphault as doubles tend to. I never had this problem.

They do allow for heavier loads.

Maintaining them is much easier.

On the negative.... Blow one, and you sit until someone comes to replace it.

Run with a flat tire, ruin the tire. Even if it's only a 100 yards.

Ice is not its best friend....at all. Matter of fact...they are much easier to break loose.

The manufactors recommend NOT going to super single purely for fuel savings....their words not mine.

Not everyone carries them at this time, and the ones that do, typically are out more times than not. So you have to wait for someone to make a run to the distributor to pick one up.

Freshly rained on pavement is spooky in corners at times.

It's a mixed bag. But, if I had my own. I would run them.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. stevedb28

stevedb28 Bobtail Member

Mar 11, 2007
    Maverick uses super singles. Mostly so they can have their 50,000 lb hauling guarantee.

4. brtecson

brtecson Medium Load Member

Oct 4, 2006
    IMO theyre crap in the winter.

5. longbedGTs

longbedGTs Heavy Load Member

May 8, 2007
    Texas
    I believe Gainey uses them too, on both trucks and trailers.

6. KaiGywer

KaiGywer Bobtail Member

Mar 20, 2007
    Judging from the trucks coming into the plant I work at, I know Central Refrigerated and Butler do for sure. I know I have seen them on others, but those two for sure.

7. KaiGywer

KaiGywer Bobtail Member

Mar 20, 2007
    Just to add on:

Van Wyk also runs super singles.

8. GatorBait

GatorBait Bobtail Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Kanawha,Ia
    I will say this If you happen to be an O/O DO NOT get Double wides ever!

I order my 07 KW W900 with Bridgestone Greatecs at 150k miles on the truck I'm on my second set of tires after 3 3-axles new pair of shocks and a whole lots of ######## bridgestone cant figure out why these things have such bad shoulder wear. I've talked to other O/O with the same problem. Even seem TMC is having the problem on thier company trucks. I ran into another O/O in seattle last week with X-ones. All he could say was he was happy he almost got 145k miles out of this set his last set only last 110k miles. I'm currently saving my pennies to go back to big rubber. Until Bridgestone or Mich works out the bugs with these tires I would advise to stay away. I blew my first tire at 12,000 miles I was stuck on the side of the road in indiana for 11 hours waiting for the bridgestone service guy only to cry at a 1100.00 tire and a 300.00 service call... Sitting 3 miles from the #### petro which didnt carry any double wides.

9. Fozzy

Fozzy Bobtail Member

Jun 20, 2007
    Quincy IL
    I have seen them on TMC trucks too.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.