any help!

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by spudman, Feb 25, 2011.

1. spudman

spudman Bobtail Member

Jan 25, 2011
    covington
    has any body used a master blaster mb-2 antenna are heard any thing about it!! thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    Never used one, and not a big fan of Everhardt Antenna's...One thing about this antenna I would be concerned with tho, is that "capacitive hat" stuck on top of it snagging tree branches!

I also doubt because of the size of the "Hat" that it would have any effect on the way the antenna performs one way or another.

4. handlebar

handlebar Heavy Load Member

I concur with Jesse here. A capacitive hat is added to the end of an antenna that is too long electrically to "shorten" it. The advertising says the hat "improves the Q", which *should* mean it's narrowing the range of frequencies that the antenna can tune over. "Q" comes from an abbreviation for "quality", and trades gain for bandwidth. Then the next line says it's good for 26 - 30 MHz. It's got to be tremendously lossy for that kind of bandwidth in a 5.5-foot-long antenna.

Every manufacturer has to have a gimmick of one kind or another, or they'd never be able to sell anything. Kinda like fishing lures; they're made to attract fishermen, not fish.

-- Handlebar --

jessejamesdallas Thanks this.
  5. spudman

spudman Bobtail Member

Jan 25, 2011
    covington
    ok thanks i look at the monkey made but it is so big it sticks out like a sour thumb

6. spudman

spudman Bobtail Member

Jan 25, 2011
    covington
    i going to try that antenna there is something i like about it i will keep you posted on what i think about it! hope my hunch is right

7. Gadfly

Gadfly Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2006
    That's like that 'ground plane" thingy you see on some CB antennas. It is the same as a cap hat, except for being in the wrong place. It is sold to make CBers think that the antenna is working against some sort of a super duper ground or "boost". But it does NOTHING except shorten the antenna length. At 27 MHZ, I don't think there's anything to be gained by using cap hats and, certainly, not a "ground plane" thingy sticking out just above or below the coil (if any). It is designed to transfer $$ from YOUR pocket to THEIRS. They gamble on it "looking cool" so it must do something, right? And people buy it. Clever marketing at work. I've been tempted to make some out of wire lamp shade frames and sell 'em!!!!!:biggrin_25523:

GF

rabbiporkchop Thanks this.
  8. WA4GCH

WA4GCH Road Train Member

Aug 12, 2009
    Seminole Florida
    Capacitive hats work well on 1750 meters .....

9. Gadfly

Gadfly Medium Load Member

Aug 18, 2006

Well, of COURSE!!!!!:biggrin_25525:

10. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    What about reducing coil losses? Shortening the coil is always a good thing.

jessejamesdallas Thanks this.
  11. jessejamesdallas

jessejamesdallas Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2008
    Republic of Texas
    shorten the coil, then taller the antenna gets...(which is a good thing unless you have clearance issues to deal with)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.