Any May Lease Ops?

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by justawheelholderfornow, Jun 1, 2011.

1. 51.50

51.50 Heavy Load Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Salem Oregon
    Hey Efon, I owned the tractor in my avatar picture. Clear title in my name. It was lease purchased from May Trkg. This was my second tractor that I lease purchased from May Trkg. I chose to lease purchase from May after talking to several owner operators that owned their trucks and could go haul anywhere they chose. They chose to stay with May. I felt the same. I worked for May until I retired. I never had any doubt that I would complete the lease purchase on either truck. An efficient owner operator is valuable to May Trkg. Cathy Williams, Owner Operator dept manager, will give you sound financial advice if you ask her.
    That said if you are deep in debt, I recommend to work as a driver and pay off as much debt as possible before lease purchase.. Remember, when you start a lease purchase, you are going into business with no money. After you have completed your lease purchase, you are an established owner operator and you have choices and dealing from a position of strength.
    I still go to Brooks during May Days and grab a free burger and visit. I retired in 2009.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 51.50

51.50 Heavy Load Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Salem Oregon
    I will add a little more detail about my time at May Trkg. I will start after I paid off my first Century, It had 800 K and I wanted to get a truck with less mileage. It is a matter of record that I always maintained my truck. I was talking to some drivers in the yard and mentioned that i was going to sell my truck and get another. a couple of days later I was fueling when I was approached by a fleet owner that wanted to buy my truck. He gave a check that Friday. I didn't have a new truck picked out. I was offered to drive a company truck until I picked another for lease purchase. I was assigned a Pete 379 EXHD. I could have lease purchased it. I drove it for 2 months before I picked out the Black Century. It was strickly a business decision. My black Century averaged 7.3 mph long term. Working by the mile I chose mpg over long hood. I started driving Class A in 1970. I enjoyed it to the last day. I never wanted to be a desk jockey.

4. Kujo7569

Kujo7569 Bobtail Member

Apr 25, 2017
    In regards to May lease op, are you really able to choose the loads you pick up and deliver? I can see that being a huge benefit that's worth the extra risk, even if you're only making slightly more than a company driver. I also would like to hear if May keeps the miles consistent. As a company driver they always have something for me to take, but if I transition into L/P, will they still keep the miles coming? Thank you for any valid input!

5. 51.50

51.50 Heavy Load Member

Jan 20, 2016
    Salem Oregon
    I would ask them.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.