Any movers on this forum?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by mover man, Sep 5, 2018.

1. Rn8806

Rn8806 Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2016
    100% correct made more money in 1990 than you can today. a bad day in the freight business is better than a good day in the moveing business

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    Oooooooh no that is 100% completely wrong
    Started bed bugging back in 86 quit in 87 went back into army. Started beginning again in 92 and up till 3 years ago that's all I did. (I now do both hhg and hvp/spec com. I say all that so you no I "sorta kinda" no what I'm talking about.
    Yes I made more money in the 90's and up till 9-11. Problem with moving today isn't the discounts, shippers, claims, or helpers. Biggest problem is same as it's always been. Feast or famine, it dead, slow, full tilt balls to the walls, followed by slow again. Steak and lobster for 3 months followed by spaghetti and spam. Cash flow is king. So even if your the best money manager in the biz. It still sucks.

4. mover man

mover man Road Train Member

Feb 21, 2010
    But one good job. 28k pack and load going 800 miles. Takes a week (pack mon, pack and start loading tue, finish loading wed. Drive thr and Fri, del sat) can pay you about the same as a month running freight. Problem is during the dead season. That might be all you get all month.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  5. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I think it would be very tough finding hands on the spot to load / unload the truck.

That has to be stressful as hell.

I mean now a days just to get someone to show up, let alone work, and actually care about not thrashing people's goods.

6. Allow Me.

Allow Me. Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

May 28, 2009
    Rancho Mirage, Ca.
    yeah I started with American Red ball in'76. What I liked was getting off the interstate and seeing the back roads etc. Most shippers are nice but I noticed people are really filthy pigs and dumb ( they pay thousands to move junk furniture across the USA) One time I stayed at a shippers house and they cooked us breakfast ! Another time we delivered to a lady's home her daughters stuff, She was hopping mad but after getting her cooled down, she wanted to get on the truck and go with us. I had a lumper I hired to ride with me (made it easier to load /unload)and he knew NYC which helped immensely for me, a newbie. But I never have missed it once I got into freight.

7. mugurpe

mugurpe Medium Load Member

May 5, 2013
    Arlington, MA
    I own and work at an HHG/Moving company, I started it in 2005 and It's been good to me since. The good days are good, the bad days are baaaad. I'd love to see a mover specific board. Closest I've found is r/movingday on reddit.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.