Any O/O leased to Roadrunner?

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by 10 speed, Jun 4, 2011.

1. prodriver1125

prodriver1125 Bobtail Member

Nov 26, 2010
    haddonfield, nj
    are you still with RRTS? do you know firsthand, if they have an honest lease purchase program?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rusty50484

Rusty50484 Light Load Member

Dec 25, 2009
    Northern Iowa
    As for the damaged trailer at the Chicago terminal the one guy talks about, yes Dawes had a BIG problem with trailer damage. RR has pretty much corrected that since taking full reign. Friend of mine who is still there says his reefer hasn't had any damage inside at all in the last year and a half or so.

Am not familiar at all with their lease purchase program. No matter what it is I'd stay away. Lease purchase is just buying yourself a job. If you don't have the financial resources to buy a truck wait. JMHO.

I do know this from my friend who is at RR. They asked him a couple weeks ago if he would agree to trying out a "tracking device". They said their customers are starting to demand some sort of real time tracking, ala Quallcom or some such. They didn't say what exactly it was or who made it, he just declined and that was that. However, it's coming. Their SMS scores and such will lead them to it if their customers don't.

Also, some rates went down last month. He does LA to Denver (he lives in Colorado) and, like last year, they lowered the rate. Last year they upped it again after a few months but they are trying it again.

For those who aren't familiar with the Dawes/RoadRunner matchup, both firms were bought out by a private equity firm, which still owns a majority of the company (they are now public). Therefore, although they've been run pretty well over the last few years, if you're familiar with private equity you know they get a company public, get the financials looking real good then strip as much equity out and leave a debt laden company behind. They've been on a buying binge over the last few years, they've added agents (which they never had before), have bought a couple trucking and warehousing companies, have bought an intermodal company. As for the long term outlook I am not real sure what exactly they're aiming for other than to try and be a one stop shop for all of a company's transportation needs.

My friend makes money there. But, the net margins have been slowly going down over the last few years, just like mine did when I was running OTR. I'm not sure I'd be diving head first into buying or leasing a truck right now, but that's a decision one has to make for oneself.

scottied67 Thanks this.
  4. terryt

terryt Heavy Load Member

Apr 27, 2009
    Yes still hear but I will be leaving they cut rates on base mileage pay but they raised rates to customers 6% twice this past year. then cut my rate NOT! Have put seven holes in my trailer in the past 18 months. RRTS could care less the jerks on the hilo's could care less also. Read my other post. Fuel surcharge does not match other carriers. You can not afford to rent a trailer 800 a month at these rates.

5. Chrisvanoverjr

Chrisvanoverjr Bobtail Member

Mar 17, 2012
    Clarksville, tn
    I understand most everything about the ins and outs of rrts but one question I have is, if you run terminal to terminal, how long is the down time while they unload and reload your trailer for your next trip?

6. Mrtbone

Mrtbone Light Load Member

Dec 14, 2012
    What % do you pay. I was leased to a company that payed 80% pulling there trailer and there reefer fuel, I was able to make it. Than they had to cut us to 70%, I should of quit than and there. I hung on until a major now no $ to fix.

7. Crazy D

Crazy D Medium Load Member

Mar 18, 2011
    Homewood,IL
    Sad to see those morons are still destroying trailers. And it's all due to the I don't care attitude.

8. terrenceo1

terrenceo1 Bobtail Member

Sep 15, 2012
    Ga
    Im starting with them monday got me a truck from them lease purchase wise. Truck i pick from arrow truck sales conley ga was a 2010 pro star. The pay base i choose was .92 L/E . The other pay is 80% but no pay for dead head.

9. emoneybags

emoneybags Bobtail Member

Jun 8, 2013
    I just don't understand why as truckers we seem to have an issue helping each other. if some one ask a question either answer it with help or don't. truckers are some of the worst humans on earth. not all just the unhappy, disgruntled, types that troll forums not to help but to tell bad jokes and criticize fellow truckers seeking help. most act as if they were born knowing all there is about trucking or life. if your a veteran driver your experience is worthy of sharing with the new, the ill informed, or those that could use your knowledge out here. instead of being grumpy truckers try helping out. you are the ones that blame everything on the new guys, etc constantly complaining how trucking has changed. help set trucking straight then.

Scoots, Charli Girl, old time and 2 others Thank this.
  10. bigdad7

bigdad7 Road Train Member

Jun 6, 2010
    ks
    I,m signing with bruenger next week will ren my truck til end of year then if rates are where they say i,ll lease. A 2011 cascadia was a pretty straight deal figuring 15 percentinterest i think its priced pretty close to market ....gambling on an uptick in california rates next year to pay for my new truck:)

11. wargreen007

wargreen007 Bobtail Member

Sep 7, 2013

I was checking to see how roadrunner operate. do you like it or hate it. Is you get the miles plus the good pay. How does truck payment work weekly or every month like a carb note. Is you get a good fuel subcharge. What the warrenty cover. any type of maintance plan. ? srry for all the question just looking for help, dont see other driver on the road.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.