any owner ops / lease.

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by TruckerPete1990, Jan 18, 2013.

1. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    So I'm looking to get into a l/p but trying to find someone else that has had experience with it. Like how much ur spendin on fuel. How many miles ur doing a week.. any help at all would be great.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Bump. I'm at least a year away from committing to anything, but I am curious about the numbers. Conway's website indicates pay of $0.94/mile + fsc -- what is the fuel surcharge rate? Is it basically double the published conway freight rate as indicated by the 2009 chart posted here: http://www.con-way.com/en/tools_pri...uel_surcharge_historical_data_2009_truckload/ Or is there a difference between what conway charges its customers and pays its ICs? My best guess is that the current rate at $4.159/gal diesel is $0.764/mile, for a total rate of $1.704/mile -- is that correct?

Is there additional pay for hazmat or border-crossing loads?

4. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    i know the fuel surg changes every week last time i checked it was 40cents and was like that for 3weeks in a row then i stopped checkin:p so im wandering what the uh miles are runnin for them cuz last 2-3weeks for me havnt been that good. so with lease if u dont get the miles it can really really hurt you. but frieght is slow right now so i think im just pass on this into i know for sure im stay with con-way or not

5. Railham

Railham Light Load Member

Feb 12, 2012
    Florida
    There is additional pay for haz mat , NE , and border crossings and they pay for tags,tolls and your BT insurance is $50 a month. The current pay is .94 a mile empty/loaded and the fuel charge right now is 42 cents a mile and you get cheaper fuel then whats on the sign at the pilot and flying J. I'm looking at next year going O/O with them. You are on even playing ground with company drivers when it comes to loads but you will get at least 2,000 miles from what the Owner operators in the company told me.

6. Countyboy

Countyboy Medium Load Member

Nov 10, 2010
    Littleton, NH
    I looked while I was there. Did 3 mo of research and talked to a few L/O at terminals. After running the numbers you will end up pocketing $10-$15,000 a year more after all taxes, bills, expenses etc. to me it didn't seem worth it as most trucks you can lease through Con-way are A) beat to hell and B) WAYYYY over priced.

that being said if you can get financing on your own and get your own truck at a reasonable price I would say $20-$30,000 a year more in your pocket. Not positive, the spreadsheet I did is at the house and I'm in NJ. All in all I decided not to as the risk of $50,000+ in debt after one thing goes wrong as well as CWTL's inconsistent freight seemed a little riskier then what I wanted.

I left, run for a private fleet now, and make just shy of $3500 less then what I would have as a CWTL lease op. Here it is not my truck, not my fuel expense, not my repair bills, no double social security contribution, no self employment tax, NO STRESS

Not trying to discourage anyone as I just wasn't comfortable with the numbers the way they looked and business comfort is the same as pain tolerance it's different for everyone and different in every situation. Good luck no matter your decision.

7. double yellow

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Where can I find the fuel surcharge?

8. double yellow

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Ah, option 5 has it... Cant find it anywhere in driver connection though.

9. local driver

local driver Light Load Member

Nov 8, 2010
    SE Michigan
    OOIDA has it posted on there website and is updated regularly.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.