Any Pickup and Delivery jobs that work nights?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by bentstrider83, Feb 20, 2021.

1. HiramKingWilliams

HiramKingWilliams Heavy Load Member

May 15, 2019
    State of Jefferson
    Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    Well, as long as it's a strict, twelve hour shift, I'm game. Here in the dairy farm loading world, your schedule was all over the place. One night would be a 1300 start, and possibly ending at 0700 the next day thanks to more barns thrown onto you and all the other headaches associated with a factory farm operation. Bouncing to a couple of different stores every now and then within an 1800-to-0600 window is an island to me.

4. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    Well, that's the other thing i wanted to clarify: You say "pickup and delivery work at night." Do you mean actual P+D work at night? Or just nighttime work in general?

bentstrider83 Thanks this.
  5. bentstrider83

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    Yep. P & D or anything at night in general, with the same start and end time(twelve hour shifts at night like "1800-0600" are ideal, five nights a week). Like I've mentioned on previous threads, I've been doing the milk tanker thing for the past, 8-9 years and enjoy tankers. So that's why I'll be gunning for a fuel job before I think of transitioning back to a land clipper ship(any type of van trailer) again.

6. bentstrider83

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    Well. No luck with the two fuel positions(Pilot and Loves) I applied to out in Albuquerque. At least the Pilot FJ people told me personally and would let me know when another spot opened up. Only other option would be to find either another fuel tanker or Linehaul/LTL position up in Denver. But again, the long move would be entirely self funded as there's no relocation or hiring bonus really offered to settle in.

Truth be told, the Ruan job that got me out to Clovis NM from SoCal offered me a hiring bonus, so that explains my motivation for upping and moving so quickly that time.

7. Russian Rabbit

Jan 3, 2016
    So, you're flexible as far as location?

8. bentstrider83

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    Depends on how far and foreign I'll have to go. So far I'm sticking to the west/southwest.

9. Russian Rabbit

Jan 3, 2016
    Probably the best gig ever (and i say this from direct experience) is linehaul at upsf. Although i would hold off temporarily until the changover (we got sold, i don't know if you heard), to see how things are. IF it goes as we think, then mostly things will stay the same if not improve.

You can see by my paychecks(in various other threads) that it does indeed pay VERY well and really, my examples are actually below average compared to the average UPSF driver----as i tended to be conservative when i ran at night----passing runs to lower seniority drivers etc whenever possible so as not to "burn" myself out.

The ONLY reason i stopped was i don't sleep well during the day and that totally messes things up; It just doesn't work for me long term.

If it wasn't for that, they would have to chase me away from the gig.

10. Russian Rabbit

Jan 3, 2016
    i re-read your stipulations; You prefer tank (which is more dangerous IMO). In that case, we would think Phoenix, LA etc.?

11. bentstrider83

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    I left CA nine years ago. I'd probably end up behind bars if I had to move back there(too many people is the main reason. It's just me and my cat.) That and I generally think it's bad luck to move back to some place you left.

That said, I've gotten so used to tankers that I feel they're safer than "road sails"(any given box trailer). I don't know how it readjust to a pair of pups or anything like that.

Gearjammin' Penguin Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.