Any tips joining transmission to engine

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by Dino soar, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I'm joining my transmission to my engine and it seems that I'm having a bit of a hard time

The engine is out and I have it lined up with my transmission along the beam in my garage using two chain hoists and the trolleys on the beam above.

When I put the alignment tool in it goes in through the first set of splines and I have to lift it slightly or maneuver it a little bit and it goes through the second set. It has to be exactly perfectly aligned or it won't go in. From there it comes in and out very easily there's no binding or or anything so I feel that I have the clutch discs lined up correctly.

So this is what's happening when I join them together. I get into the first set of splines and I can't seem to get that exact perfect alignment to get through the second set. The clutch Forks are over the release bearing but I get to where I have maybe 2in or 3in left and I just can't seem to work it in.

I'm not quite sure what else to do except keep trying, but if anybody has any advice or tips that would be great.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    I’ve never done one myself Hats off. Currently debating. Been watching videos. You probably know to put trans in gear and maybe use yoke to maneuver splines. Eaton says not to grease input because of dust causing binding issues later. I notice a few of Mechanics I’ve asked say they put a thin coating.Good Video Utube Gordon Robertson he has a hard time by himself uses longer bolts to draw together. Looks tough to get angle just right. He gets it though and works well without damage.Good Luck I may be asking same type questions myself soon

Dino soar Thanks this.
  4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    That looks like the hardest part getting it together while not letting it hang on shaft. It’s like they have to raise tail as putting together. I’m worried I won’t be able to get Trans back in alone

5. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    Cut the heads off some 3" bolts and make some guide studs the thread into the engine flywheel housing. Space them evenly apart at the bottom holes. This will guide your vertical height. Measure your gaps top to bottom to keep it level as you go in. If your splines are lined up, it will fall in.

Before I pull the alignment tool out but after torqueing the clutch, I give some sideways and up/down taps with a small hammer or deadblow to seat everything and loosen the fit. The dummy shaft needs to go in and out like butter or the install will fight you.

I am referring to hitting on the end of the alignment tool or dummy shaft and not the clutch or throughout bearing.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2018
    tommymonza, SAR, spsauerland and 3 others Thank this.
  6. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    I'll put the dummy shaft back in and try that and see if that helps. That's certainly could be part of the problem. It seems to be fighting me.

That definitely is the second problem. Once I got in so far with the shaft as I go up and down with the transmission I lose where my original point was and I'm too high or too low. Without the guide studs eventually I become disoriented to where I originally was.

I will pick up the bolts tomorrow and proceed.

That makes complete sense. Thanks again @Goodysnap

7. BoxCarKidd

BoxCarKidd Road Train Member

Aug 26, 2014
    I always make sure the new disc slide over the input shaft. Also does the new pilot bearing go over the end of the input shaft. Those are preassembly checks.
    It is possible for the clutch housing shafts to protrude through the fork. Then one can be hanging up on the throughout bearing.
    I also use the hammer side to side, up and down on the line up shaft. Then I tap on it toward the engine. If it wont bounce back at you your transmission will not slide in.

Rideandrepair, SAR and spsauerland Thank this.
  8. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    And above all , please dont use bolts to suck it together!!! You will bust something doing that. It must go together with no force at all.

Once the forks go over the throw out bearing you need to turn them down, so they dont hit the clutch it self. It should practically fall together if aligned right

Jazz1, Rideandrepair, SAR and 3 others Thank this.
  9. Goodysnap

Goodysnap Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2017
    I've said it before............once she's all in and bolted together. Put it in gear and release the clutch and make sure the output yoke turns before you button up. Putting the trans in gear will also assist in spline alignment when stabbing as well. Dont forget to re-center to neutral before stabbing the shifter.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  10. Snaponfan1

Snaponfan1 Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2018
    If you are using one of those cheezy plastic shaft tools to align, they can be troublesome, especially if you havent done many clutches, also make sure the fork folds down over the T/O bearing as you approach, its okay to draw in with oem bolts as long as its even with no binding(never use air tools or exrta long bolts, thats risky) but sounds like you got some good advice from these guys, dont get hurt, you probably cant bench press that trans, if your anywhere near Phoenix I can help, sounds like fun.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  11. bjrc

bjrc Light Load Member

Sep 14, 2018
    If I was replacing a clutch in the field or an uneven floor I would hang clutches and pressure plate assembly on the transmission input shaft and install it all at once then bolt up pressure plate to flywheel through adjustment access hole.

Rideandrepair and Hulld Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.