Any truth to this with WERNER

Discussion in 'Werner' started by foodmojo, May 9, 2010.

1. Starchdoggy

Starchdoggy Light Load Member

Aug 6, 2007
    seated
    The last couple new drivers I have spoke with ran an extra day or two and one had to wait a week for a truck. When I trained I ran two extra days to finish the week and was asked to run longer as they had no trucks. I told them "I will be at home, call me when you get a truck and I will come get it if I have not found another job first." They found a truck an hour after I got of the trainers truck.

That was a few years ago and it might not work so well now, but do not let them push you around. Stand your ground or they will walk on you as much as they can.

Butterdog and angeleyesinfl Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. comrade86

comrade86 Bobtail Member

Jun 17, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    :biggrin_2556: over hire? LOL ive been with werner for 2 years, and good friend of mine been with them for 20 years. Look there is a thing about werner its called "SCAM" what they do is hire new drivers, give them a trainer, pay you 200/300$ a week running team with your trainer. After your 300hrs they will tell you "sorry we dont have anything for you, but you have a choice to stay as a student and get 300$ a week running team, or stay home until they call you with an opening" Think about.... They have a team truck "you and ur trainer" and they only paying one person which is your trainer. The truck is making them $$$$$$$$$$$$ while paying only one person. "SCAM!!!!!" With werner you CANT call driver placement if you want a job, what you need to do is think what you want to do "flatbed, NetOps, OTR, Regional, Dollar Gen, Refr...etc" then find a driver that does what you want to do, ask him who is his dispatcher, and ask him if the dispatcher a nice person to work for, then get the dispatchers number and call them. Tell him/her that you are new and heard alot about that rout/him/her and you are very interested to work on his/her board. Thats a little trick to know if you are working for werner. And dont forget you can move around the board all the time, it dosent hurt you. Driver placement is also a scam, they only give good jobs to people that they know. And 99% of the time they dont update or dispatchers dont report that they need a driver, when they really do... If you are from texas and want a good run making ok money try to get on TEXAS TRIANGLE... You will be happy with that run i promice, its probably one of the best one in texas. If you want to do netops DONT DO IT!!!!!!!! You will be broke b4 you know it!!!!!

Steve14 Thanks this.
  4. sailalibi

sailalibi Bobtail Member

Aug 15, 2010
    annapolis,md
    so what is netops?

5. FallsInc

FallsInc Light Load Member

Aug 20, 2008
    Ohio
    this i stupid... i was with werner for 2.5 years, and I've heard this argument more times than i can remember. its not a cheap team, it costs more than a normal team. normal teams split miles. with trainer teams, the trainer gets all the miles, instead of a split (which sucks for the student) AND they pay the student salary... so $1000 to a team truck is $500 for each half of a team. $1000 to trainer truck is actually $1350.

that being said, it does suck. i was a trainer for a little over 1.5 years and ran Budweiser out of Columbus for part of it. i did about 175,000 trainer miles with Budweiser working 5.5 days a week, and all i had to show for it was $50,000. otr trainer pay was a joke.

NetOps is a fancy way of saying day cabs that run between terminals/drop yards. No idle time cause its got no sleeper and it can haul heavier loads too due to weight savings on truck.

6. KDuBB

KDuBB Bobtail Member

Oct 15, 2010
    Inverness,fl
    thought netops was "sharing" a truck with another driver, you go out for a week or two, park the truck at a facility that werner half owns and the other driver is there to pick it up and start again..least thats what i saw...they do have specialty trucks that are lightweight and run heavy loads, but they are normally dedicated run for a week off weekends, and it has a sleeper just not a big one...like very small lol

7. Redclay

Redclay Bobtail Member

Oct 16, 2010
    Dallas, Texas
    at 14 hours left i was in terminel, said i cant test out early. next day another terminel. 4 hours left....no...later that day my training hours out of the way i was in the CA terminel when we got another JT load. now in Denver, told that we have another JT load and there is no students in Denver to replace me on trainer truck. they say next week i will be down south again and test out at that time. i will be about 100 hours over by then. i also know other SD's that got tested out early. i know some that got an ok truck and some that got piles of scrap. there are terminels that have a better pile to pick from.

8. walstib

walstib Darkstar

A Werner rep that came to my school yesterday said they're only hiring teams for OTR right now and only hiring dedicated, mainly for Dollar Store and Dollar General...He also said they have 7500 trucks and no problem getting one...

9. l<enny

l<enny Light Load Member

Oct 19, 2010
    Burgaw, NC
    had a werner recruiter at my school today and he said the same thing. But as with army recruiters, dont believe everything you hear.:biggrin_2554:

10. walstib

walstib Darkstar

I didn't...One of the students, when he was done with his presentation, told him he recorded the presentation(he didn't), the rep was not happy...Things that make you go hmmmmmmmm....

11. Redclay

Redclay Bobtail Member

Oct 16, 2010
    Dallas, Texas
    that is funny, when you get on with werner, you will be given a paper that says you can not record any conversation at werner.
    a recruter will tell you anything to get you in the door. they will also leave things out they do not want you to know. like the $400. they take out of your pay to keep just incase you do something to the truck.
    or tell you they are only hiring for the 48 when they really are hiring for anything.
    i went 40 hours over the 300 for training.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.