Any Werner flatbed trainers here?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by 1Steve, Sep 4, 2017.

1. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    That means a helluva lot to me, man. Thank you. I've been tossing it around here and there, as of late. I really appreciate that. Huge.

TripleSix and Broke Down 69 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 1Steve

1Steve Bobtail Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Mississippi
    Half of what the werner recruiter talked about when he gave his presentation at my school was the dollar accounts. According to him it is the highest paying account (if that is true it may be because they can't keep anybody if they are mostly going after new drivers), home most weekends and sometimes during the week and he was talking up the fuel bonus, extra pay per stop after the 1st one each day and he wasn't very clear on it but either another bonus each time you unloaded at a store or each time you unloaded an entire trailer. I didn't ask because I wasn't interested and it didn't seem like anybody else was either.

G13Tomcat Thanks this.
  4. G13Tomcat

G13Tomcat Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2011
    Ohio
    Smart man. First off, JUST SAY NO. Career killer for a new guy / rookie. Tough even for a guy like me; and I DON'T mean the unloading (only!)

Broke Down 69 Thanks this.
  5. Broke Down 69

Broke Down 69 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Concord NC
    What he said. It's career suicide for the rookie driver.

6. being a Flatbedder

check your loads

you can never throw to many chains or straps.

slow and steady

be careful even if it looks to be simple.

Broke Down 69 Thanks this.
  7. Broke Down 69

Broke Down 69 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2016
    Concord NC
    Perfect.

8. 1Steve

1Steve Bobtail Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Mississippi
    Just a new guy speculating but is doing flatbed going to be kinda similar to hauling liquid as far as driving goes? I'm not scared of it, just wondering. Half the reason I chose flatbed straight out of driving school is the extra work over dry van. I spent the last 10 years doing physical work outside year round and all this just sitting in the truck not doing anything physical all day besides cranking the landing gear down and back up twice a day is killing me, lol. I'll be glad when I get to my flatbed specific training after almost 200 more driving hours in dry van.

9. yes open deck is very specialized. We dont pay lumper fees ever.
    your not stuck in a concrete warehouse with 60 other trucks.
    you can have different loads every time. you will learn that your not a:
    load trailer slam door type of job.
    ask questions.

i would say go find "where are they #4" that had thousands of usefull info and a bunch of garbage as well.

@MACK E-6 is someone to ask as well.
    Essential information for flatbedders

1Steve Thanks this.
  10. 1Steve

1Steve Bobtail Member

Sep 4, 2017
    Mississippi
    So much for waiting a year. Went out Sept. 10th, finally got finished training on Oct. 28th, took off for home time and got home that night. I seriously didn't expect anything good to happen but I went and talked to the owner of the company I wanted to drive for. I was 99.9% sure he would tell me to come back later but I figured at least my name would be on a piece of paper in the office. We stood around and talked for a little while and I got an application and went home to fill it out. Within 20 minutes of handing in the application I was taking a driving test, as soon as that was over I went for a drug test. I now have a job 3 minutes from my house, off on sunday and half a day saturday and have the ability to make a lot more than I could have at werner and I see my family every night. It is a small 37 truck company that everybody actually likes working at and the boss trusts everybody to do their job without the need to micromanage.

Truckermania and Tug Toy Thank this.
  11. TripleSix

TripleSix God of Roads

Apr 10, 2009
    Copied in Hell
    It’s really difficult to do worse than Werner. Raised standards my arse.

johndeere4020 and peterbilt_2005 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.