Anybody ever removed bunk?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Clasix1055, Mar 17, 2012.

1. Raiderfanatic

Raiderfanatic Heavy Load Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Hutchinson, KS

That's what I do with my top bunk. I have my fridge, microwave, coffee pot, toaster plus a couple egg crates that I have four gallons of water in and one with canned food in.

Plus I removed my passenger seat. re space plus it allows easier access for me in and out of truck. And also can keep my Dish Tailgater Satellite bungied in place when not parked.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Clasix1055

Clasix1055 Even when I'm wrong I'm right

Jan 26, 2012
    Toledo, Ohio
    Ummm.....I plam on using a 4500 watt generator for my power needs

The truck has a furnace has me very confused???????

As far as the drivers removing the top mattress I want the entire bunk out for more space I am a bigger guy and ducking under that top bunk would be annoying....now im thinking if I remove the passenger seat and cabinents behind it I can build some space for a microwave

4. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    if you can't idle your engine. and you can't idle your apu., what makes you think a generator is gonna work.

and yes, the truck has a furnace. made by espar. who specializes in motorhomes. and it runs off the fuel tanks. much like your house furnace runs off natural gas.

5. leftlanetruckin

leftlanetruckin Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    Hmmmmm, my house:biggrin_25523:
    Do it myself.

Martin

6. leftlanetruckin

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    Because a lot of generators are CARB approved maybe?

Martin

7. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    i saw one semi that had carb approved. ZERO EMISSIONS IDLE. o0n his cab and engine. didn't stop him from getting a ticket.

most states have a no idle law. carb or not. semi or car. makes no difference.

carb approved only means that it passes the requirements. it doesn't mean it can idle.

8. leftlanetruckin

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    You may wish to check those assumptions, coming from someone that has had a CARB ticket in Ca. Read the laws, they specifically say "Commercial vehicles with diesel engines" etc.
    Cars are exempt, generators are exempt, smaller diesels are exempt, and so on. Most states actually specify the GVW that the no idle laws apply to.

Martin

9. SHC

SHC Spoiled Rotten Brat O/O

Feb 26, 2011
    Westville, IN
    I have seen many guys keep the top bunk but remove the mattress and install cabinets on it. That way they did not have to build anchors or drill the sleeper wall.

On my FLD I had removed the passengers seat (only had a 38" bunk) and it allowed me to run my cooler in it. In my WS I still have the seat installed but it's useless since nobody has ever sat in it and the air bag now has a hole so it's really USELESS now. Just leave it there cuz I have no need to for the extra space right now.

10. Jfaulk99

Jfaulk99 Road Train Member

May 16, 2009
    Couch
    So..........how much did the girl weigh you had sitting in that seat? You really gotta raise your standards man, I realize that LowMax is close enough to the ground for the phattys to climb in but be a bit more selective!

SHC Thanks this.
  11. CondoCruiser

CondoCruiser The Legend

Apr 18, 2010
    Tennessee
    My 387, the cabinets are built in sections. The tall cabinet behind the drivers seat, I took off the door and the front panel. I left the back panel and had a perfect space for a dorm fridge and put the microwave on top of it. I also used a long bungee cord. With the front seat and the back panel, it was all nice and secure. Looked good too.

The top cabinets are mounted to the wall.

I also removed the top mattress and the tray is perfect for many things. I had 300 dvds up there and my luggage.

Hotrodz Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.