Anybody have automatic snow chains?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by SteveScott, Apr 17, 2018.

1. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I had a job with a small outfit a couple years ago that ran me from California to Colorado, then down the New Mexico and home. Sometimes I also had to run up to Washington and Idaho. My truck and trailer had automatic snow chains and they are the greatest thing since sliced bread. I'm getting my own truck and trailer next month and seriously considering making the investment. Cost is around $15k but you can run lanes in heavy snow country in winter without worrying about stopping to chain and unchain. Just slow to 10 mph and push the button and you are chained up. It seems like they would pay for themselves by getting the higher paying loads in the winter months where other's would turn a load down.

Dave_in_AZ Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. RET423

RET423 Medium Load Member

Apr 6, 2017
    Kalifornia
    Make sure you get the muffler bearing upgrade as well, keeps the muffler spinning in all types of weather.

Rollr4872 and Broke Down 69 Thank this.
  4. pmdriver

pmdriver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2017
    Always carry real chains because that time you really need them they are going to fail, and did you notice the groove that they put into the sidewalls of your tires? They going to fail in time also. Thought they were great but when you really need them and they do not work sucks, plus they raise up when parked in a downhill dock so getting out can be tricky, just throw the real chains down where you park so you can get moving then go retrieve them.

5. SteveScott

Nov 10, 2015
    Yeah I always carried regular chains just in case, but never needed them. I had one tire get damaged and our mechanic adjusted the chain wheel and fixed the problem. I run the I-5 now from California to Washington and there are about 10 chain up spots between here and there over mountain passes. If a storm blows in you can lose a full day just chaining up every hour or two on a 700 mile trip. I'm looking for an edge over my competition that will give me a better delivery guarantee than other carriers.

6. REO6205

REO6205 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Feb 15, 2014
    California.
    Automatic snow chains? Got pictures or maybe a link?

truadvocate Thanks this.
  7. pmdriver

Nov 14, 2017
    What was great about them chains is getting past the chain stations when you not really needing them and raising them until you needed them, most of the time it was just patchy areas with wet pavement and really did not need them. They only put chain stations in a wide spot where many trucks can chain up not where they are really needed.

8. SteveScott

Nov 10, 2015
    Here you go.

Sirscrapntruckalot and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  9. Txdriver77

Txdriver77 Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2016
    Texas
  10. Long FLD

Long FLD Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2015
    Is your operation weight sensitive? If you’re doing both drive axles and a trailer axle so you don’t have to chain at all that would be a fair amount of weight. And as with anything air operated sometimes they don’t work right in the cold.

11. pmdriver

Nov 14, 2017
    In deep snow they just hit the wall of snow and do not get under the tire and all that hardware needed for them does weigh a bit.

Oldironfan Thanks this.
  12. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    So dose a bag of chains in the side box.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.