anybody know? Superior doing more regional type work?

Discussion in 'Superior Carriers' started by yankatank, Oct 29, 2018.

1. yankatank

yankatank Medium Load Member

Feb 14, 2018
    Not 'replying' to wsyrob's post, but what he said is DEAD ON! We don't really have a 'recruitment dept' like most companies. Terminal Manager pretty much does all that, to a sense. Would you agree wsyrob? I called Oakbrook when I applied, and they were lost! lmao yet, My terminal Manager(after I put app in) called me the next day and asked me to come in(yeah, I couldn't believe it was that quick! lol) and show me what they had to offer. I can't speak for all term managers, but they are the ones to call and they have 9 out of 10 answers for you. I haven't met a 'dumb' TM here, yet. I LOVE mine, he's really good! Especially when I caught him 'snoozing' on the couch in the drivers lounge at 1400. lmao

wsyrob Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Termite20

Termite20 Bobtail Member

Apr 19, 2017
    What do you mean when you say
    "Especially for the guys that like to do system. "

Thanks to all I am settled on tanker and am considering Superior. I have 2.9 years exp.

4. ttypewe4jim

ttypewe4jim Light Load Member

Feb 21, 2018
    System guys stay out usually 1.5/2 weeks at a time running the roads so to speak, then come home for a few days. It appears that superior is trying to focus more on out and back runs along with some regional runs maybe 1/2 night runs. At my terminal just about every driver with the exception of the Owner operator IC guys are home just about every night maybe 4-5 nights a month in the truck. Lots of 11+ hour days with weekends optional (I'm not huge on the m-f deal personally would rather do a system style run but we will see.)

5. 59EX

59EX Medium Load Member

Jun 27, 2015

Meaning for guys that like to do long runs and not get sent back to your home terminal.

At this point of notice we've lost some of our longer runs. Or maybe I just haven't done any.

I like to stay out in the system for about 3 weeks. But the way Superior does things sometimes is they'll keep sending you back to your home terminal so you can keep pulling loads for your home terminal.

The reason I stay out of the system is because it's more consistent money. Doing be shorter runs doesn't work for me because I can't go home in between. I live pretty far from the terminal.

Saying all that, since the last time I posted I had a talk with my terminal manager and I made clear that I wanted to stay out in the system. And I haven't had any problems since.

To each his own but I'd definitely give Superior a try. Keep in mind you will see a lot of different opinions because of the fact that each terminal is running a little bit differently.

VIDEODROME Thanks this.
  6. yankatank

Feb 14, 2018
    [
    honestly...I have done General freight(CRAP) and a taste of LTL and tanker(Superior) has been the best. The attitude is way better than general freight. I can't tell you how many times, in general freight, I was cussed out, told they make more than me, told they make over 100K a year(ALL BS unless they are O/O and they don't take that home!), not to mention all the 'my company is better than yours' crap.Talk about a bunch of 50/60 year old somethings acting like middle schoolers! My point is, when I came into tanking ALL tanker drivers treat each other EQUALLY! (Sure, in 2 years I have ran into 1 or 2 guys that were aholes, that's life) But, you go to a tank wash and hanging with other guys from different companies everybody is cool with each other....compared to a truckstop where everyone wants to fight and argue and be a bunch of babies for no #### reason at all.I can't say anything about other tanker outfits, but I really am happy at Superior. If I was to leave, I'm sure I would come back, and with my record I'd def be allowed back.

Speed_Drums and VIDEODROME Thank this.
  7. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    Well, I'm not into PTI about a month. Georgia Pacific can be really annoying :rolleyes: . Some newer facilities are easy, but the older places can really suck.

I may revisit Superior, though I know little about tanker equipment. Do you unload most of them or does the customer? I suppose it's fairly routine though if according to this thread, it's becoming out and back? I might be cool with that or do occasional overnights.

In the meantime, I'm guess I should probably apply for a TWIC?

8. wsyrob

wsyrob Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 14, 2007
    Winston Salem
    If it's Superior you are looking at hold off on TWIC. They will pay for it once you get hired if you need it

VIDEODROME Thanks this.
  9. yankatank

Feb 14, 2018
    yeah that. I didn't have a TWIC and waited until I about hired(you have a day you need to fill out paperwork and do a few videos). That's when you should go get a TWIC and bring the receipt into term mgr so they can reimburse you. At least, that's what I did. But good luck over at PTI, if you decide to come over here, I think you'll really enjoy it. There have been ALOT of changes last year.

10. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    I messaged a recruiter I had talked to before and told him I got a job at PTI. I asked how much road experience they wanted and they said get 1 year.

My year previous to this I did Yard Jockey and many companies seem to not take that seriously as experience. Before that, I did just under a year OTR for Veriha.

I feel a bit like I'm starting over. Now.... some of this is the formal requirement and maybe after about 6 months, I could try approaching a terminal manager directly.

11. yankatank

Feb 14, 2018
    Interesting. I went to the training school with a guy, that was out of Greer that came over from yard switcher. He was going local. I don't think he did local very long as I saw him at our terminal in markham, il and said he needed more money than what local could pay him(it's usually like that everywhere, OTR is more than local). Don't know what terminal you applied for, but each terminal has their own set of rules(hiring/pay).

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.