Anybody seen this before?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 86scotty, Apr 22, 2021.

1. slow.rider

slow.rider Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    How often do you do rotations and alignments?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. John E.

John E. Light Load Member

Apr 4, 2021
    New Brunswick
    Experienced the same problem with steer tires a few times over the yrs. About 10 yrs ago I switched to BF Goodrich, plus I put a cup of Prestone inside each tire for balancing purposes. Haven't had any abnormal wear on my tires since. This may help with new tires. When the tire pattern is established on each tire, not much a Driver or Company can do except put them on the trailer and start over with new tires.
    I never put used tires or recaps on steering axle. Have seen Drivers get killed that way.

86scotty Thanks this.
  4. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Not often enough. I'm due for an alignment.

5. slow.rider

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    I find my steers are particularly sensitive to rotations, at least on the truck I have now. I'm now rotating the steers every 12.5k miles, and each rotation includes dismounting and reversing direction of whichever one is on the driver side.

One unaddressed issue I have is the leaf springs aren't quite the same. One is less bowed than the other. Not sure if that'd affect the steers or not.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    86scotty Thanks this.
  6. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    What truck and what tires?

7. slow.rider

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    Cascadia, my first steers were the chinese ones the dealer put on, then I had a pair of Continentals, a pair of Goodyear and now Bridgestones, all 16 ply except the first.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    86scotty Thanks this.
  8. Final Drive

Final Drive Road Train Member

Jan 21, 2015
    Why do you rotate your steer tires?

slow.rider Thanks this.
  9. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    Do you have the equipment to rotate and mount the tires or do you have a shop do it that often?

New tires might be cheaper than paying a shop every 12k miles

I try and run them 80k then rotate for another 80k then off the truck and either sell or to the trailer
    Too much is riding on steers to run them longer especially with the impact they take on these roads

slow.rider Thanks this.
  10. slow.rider

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    So I can get more than 50k out of them. My truck sucks. It was apparently wrecked and rebuilt at some point before I bought it, and probably ought to have had a salvage title. 300k miles later and something's still not lined up quite right. It's my first truck so I didn't make the best choice, but I just finished paying it off and am enjoying the lack of payments.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
  11. slow.rider

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    I don't think mine would make it to 80k if I tried that. My Continentals looked like the OP's at 60k. I started playing with the positioning and got a total of 110k out of them. The Goodyears I started the regular rotation regimen but got lazy and forgot a couple times. They lasted 130k.

As far as cost, I think TA charges like $80 for 2 rotates and a remount, so doing it 8 times over 100k miles is $640, still quite a bit less than the tires even after my fairly decent tire discounts. But I know a local indie truck tire place near me that does it for half that much, and they have shorter wait times too.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2021
    GYPSY65 and God prefers Diesels Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.