Anybody seen this before?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 86scotty, Apr 22, 2021.

1. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Check king pins, check the nut on the axle. When the bearing wears the axle nut gets loose and creates play. I would start there

slow.rider and GYPSY65 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Read my first couple of posts, did that. Truck just had king pins mic'd a week ago when it was in for a FL bearing (but the first bad tire was on the right). Right hand bearing was replaced a few months ago.
    MPG is great and no heat on the hubs, oil is clean.

slow.rider Thanks this.
  4. slow.rider

slow.rider Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    Thanks man. I will admit that living in it helped though. If it weren't for that, then I probably would not have been able to pull it off.

5. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Ok, sorry missed that. If you haven't check tie rod ends, and pitman arm. Check rear bushings on drives. Lastly could be a bad tire.

86scotty Thanks this.
  6. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    Here is what was posted on another thread about golf balls.

just get a bag of recycled golf balls at walmart keep in truck .put 3 golf balls in every tire on truck.i guarantee the tires will wear smooth as a babys bottom unless they are structurally compromised. this will save you lots money, keep tires inflated. if some tireman laughs, thats ok, he wants y.our tires wear out he makes money selling tires. been using golfers over 15 years..you couldnt give me a set of centramatics. period. beads and sand outa question 2

TallJoe Thanks this.
  7. GYPSY65

GYPSY65 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2012
    SW FLA
    I have the centramatics and have to believe they do work

But I used to have a few trucks and an old driver that worked for us swore up and down on the golf ball thing

Haven’t tried it yet myself but I believe it’s a better option than the bags of beads etc

TallJoe Thanks this.
  8. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I've just Never got good wear out of anything but michelins on the steer position of any truck I've ever owned and won't throw my money away on anything less these days .
    Firestones were always rough riding choppy junk that lasted maybe 90k .
    I run the drives down to about 10/32s throw on 8 new yokes or hankooks .

86scotty and TallJoe Thank this.
  9. 86scotty

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    I'm running Falken drives these days and they are great so far. I'm about 80k in to them and they have been great so far. Paid $3650 out the door for all eight. At that time, locally, that was the best deal I could get on a non-Chinese/no name tire.

10. 86scotty

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    My dealer tried to talk me in to Hankook's new Smarttec? steer tire. He can get them for about $425 per. I just gave in and went with the Michelins. With the age and mileage of my truck it's needing more and more things replaced. I don't want steers to be fooling me like these Firestone's were.

bzinger and GYPSY65 Thank this.
  11. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    I agreed with you until I started running 295/60 on the steer. With Michelins, the shoulder goes away too fast. Don't like the Continentals because they look like an aircraft tire (just smooth with 3 deep grooves) halfway thru their life, but at least I can get over 100k out of them. The Michelins seem to be getting better, albeit slowly, but they just don't hold up to our side loads in carhaul. Only good thing about how fast we go through tires is that we never see the river wear the OP is dealing with.

Tug Toy, 86scotty and bzinger Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.