Anybody using a space heater?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Dino soar, Jan 16, 2022.

1. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    One time I was behind another vehicle and decided I best slow down. Because I started slowing down rapidly when he hit the vehicle in front of me he decided I was guilty. However no such device was found. If the LEO is using Lidar he can tell who jammed it or so he says. A bird dog does no good for Lidar so they say. Again all hearsay

bzinger, cke, PoleCrusher and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. 86scotty

86scotty Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2017
    Appalachia
    Thanks Dino, you reminded me to run out to the driveway and plug in my space heater. Cold around here tonight.

Dino soar and JoeyJunk Thank this.
  4. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    It's a Honda 3000 Handi. 3000 surge, 2600 sustained. I can get almost ten hours on eco mode, but it's got a tiny tank. If it's cold enough that the heater has to keep turning on, I only get about eight hours. It sucks, but it will be alright once I rig up the new gas tank.

JoeyJunk Thanks this.
  5. JoeyJunk

JoeyJunk Road Train Member

Dec 31, 2010
    Washington, PA
    Picked mine up yesterday. She will have a space heater hooked to her IDGAF what anyone says. Other than an open fire, DOT doesn’t need to worry about how I keep from freezing to death.
    0D4CBBEF-EC6E-46E2-A5C8-44C80FEA307B.jpeg

bzinger, austinmike, cke and 4 others Thank this.
  6. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    I enjoy playing hide & go seek with them it's fun when they get pissed off !

wore out and JoeyJunk Thank this.
  7. Gliding ProStar

Gliding ProStar Heavy Load Member

Nov 12, 2016
    Waxahachie, Texas
    I have carried a space heater in the truck for 12 years with zero problems. I carry a 1500 watt ceramic heater. On high it will pull between 950-1150 watts and on the low setting it will pull between 550-625 watts. I have also never had the inside of my cabs searched during an inspection nor has any inspecting officer ever asked about it. I have been asked a few times about how my generator was secured to the frame of the trailer before I installed a box for the generator to sit in.

My gernerator has a 7 gallon fuel tank mounted in the top of the generators frame and thats how it came. I also carry two metal fuel cans. My generator is a Westinghouse WGen 6000 with electric start. I am running the electric start wiring into the bunk and installing the switch in the sleeper control panel so I can start the generator without even leaving the cab.

8. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Well you would be wrong.... there is absolutely nothing in the fmcsa reg's about space heaters

Studebaker Hawk Thanks this.
  9. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    My predator 3,500 generator has a 2.5gl tank

It will run ac for (800 watts) 11 plus hours

10. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana

Aaaaand you are unfortunately wrong

Much of it reads as a list of "duh, why would anyone do that?"

But here you go

§ 393.77 Heaters.
    On every motor vehicle, every heater shall comply with the following requirements:

(a) Prohibited types of heaters. The installation or use of the following types of heaters is prohibited:

(1) Exhaust heaters. Any type of exhaust heater in which the engine exhaust gases are conducted into or through any space occupied by persons or any heater which conducts engine compartment air into any such space.

(2) Unenclosed flame heaters. Any type of heater employing a flame which is not fully enclosed, except that such heaters are not prohibited when used for heating the cargo of tank motor vehicles.

(3) Heaters permitting fuel leakage. Any type of heater from the burner of which there could be spillage or leakage of fuel upon the tilting or overturning of the vehicle in which it is mounted.

(4) Heaters permitting air contamination. Any heater taking air, heated or to be heated, from the engine compartment or from direct contact with any portion of the exhaust system; or any heater taking air in ducts from the outside atmosphere to be conveyed through the engine compartment, unless said ducts are so constructed and installed as to prevent contamination of the air so conveyed by exhaust or engine compartment gases.

(5) Solid fuel heaters except wood charcoal. Any stove or other heater employing solid fuel except wood charcoal.

(6) Portable heaters. Portable heaters shall not be used in any space occupied by persons except the cargo space of motor vehicles which are being loaded or unloaded.

broadsword Thanks this.
  11. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    From what i see above, bolt your space heater down and youre good to go.. tada, not portable anymore....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.