Anybody using a space heater?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Dino soar, Jan 16, 2022.

1. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017

Well I'm not trying to argue with you at all. But before you do that you should read the regulations because that is an auxiliary tank. You're going to run that unit from that tank. That is what an auxiliary tank is.

That is one section of the rules that is extremely detailed and for sure they will ticket you and that may be massive. I would imagine they would put you out of service on the spot and give you some kind of colossal ticket besides. Maybe you can hide the lines when you don't use it or something like that but especially if you're going to transport fuel in it you will seriously have real problems from that. This is not some minor infraction that some
    a hole cop is going to try to find. That's a serious thing and I'll be honest with you if I was a cop and I found somebody was transporting fuel and using that for an auxiliary tank I would give him the biggest ticket I could give him because it's completely unsafe. Do as you wish, but read those regulations because they are 100% crystal clear. That is one set of regulations that is a good thing that it is there.

And by the way those regulations do not specify whether you are transporting fuel. Those specifications are for any auxiliary tank that is used to power any auxiliary equipment.

Again, I'm not trying to argue with you I'm not trying to give you a hard time but there are specific regulations for auxiliary tanks running auxiliary equipment and that tank has to meet DOT Specifications, and any tank that you use has to be a DOT approved tank. They do sell them that are DOT approved tanks or you can use a regular truck tank, but when you're dealing with something like gasoline that if you have an accident or something happens and someone else got killed or hurt I can't imagine what would happen to you. I'm not trying to be an a-hole but you would be completely 100% liable for whatever happened.

In this particular situation the rules are extremely clear and I agree with them because they're there for safety. You need the tank they tell you that you need.

You say that you are new to trucking and there are some things maybe you don't take seriously enough. For your own safety and for everyone else's safety I urge you to at least read those rules several times and understand why they're there. I am also going to sincerely ask you to not underestimate the seriousness of this.

I'm not a stickler for rules, but this one is extremely important.

49 CFR § 393.67 - Liquid fuel tanks.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dino soar

Dec 8, 2017
    A space heater is considered a portable heater and within the rules that is prohibited.

49 CFR § 393.77 - Heaters.

4. Dino soar

Dec 8, 2017
    Do as you wish but that does not meet the regulations.

flood Thanks this.
  5. Dino soar

Dec 8, 2017
    I have not found that regulation or maybe I read it and I can't find it again but. DOT approved cans are Department of Transportation approved and if you're transporting in a commercial vehicle that is what you are supposed to use.

Those cans are not just a can that happens to say DOT on it. They're very specialized in the way that they're made, they are impact proof there spill proof they're made with a flame arrestor inside of them so if they become ruptured they're not going to explode.

@Ridgeline might know where that regulation is.

6. Dino soar

Dec 8, 2017
    Wow that's great to know so many so many of you guys are using space heaters. I feel better about it now

And just to remind anyone setting up a space heater make sure that you run good heavy 10 gauge wire into the truck so that it's safe.

7. wore out

wore out Numbered Classic

Jun 5, 2013
    CHASIN THE DEVIL'S HERD
    On the whole auxiliary tank subject would it not be feasible to get an old square tank off of say a 2 ton rig, mount it In a box to make it more appealing and say kiss my grits mr. DOT man?

I haven’t researched this and honestly don’t have a dog in the fight. I’m too lazy to deal with a generator and extra A/C or whatever I’ll just idle my big motor up and call it a day. But this seems like a fairly easy legal solution to this argument

Dino soar, Speed_Drums, cke and 4 others Thank this.
  8. Keepforgettingmypassword

Keepforgettingmypassword Heavy Load Member

Jan 11, 2022
    If your gonna plug it in. Get a timer plug from and weed growing store. Plug it into the inventor and set the timer. For as long as it takes to fall asleep plus 30 mins.
    But I would be super carfull about airing my law breaking on a site that has newbies, dot, retired law men. And some very proud owner operators.
    Personally its your truck do what you want. But I would look into the best inventor for your truck. Then run a four foot surge protector plug cord to it. And keep all your business in the truck. If no one can see then no one can know.
    I don't wanna see you jammed up over trying to stay warm is all I'm saying. Be safe out there driver
    If generator is you way to go then make sure its vents properly. That stuff is tricky

9. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    It's rather amusing to see how long this thread has gone, and nobody has even addressed the fact that this regulation wasn't meant to apply to the electric heaters y'all are discussing, nor the fact that these regs only apply while in motion. You can legally heat your truck any way you want when parked.

10. Keepforgettingmypassword

Keepforgettingmypassword Heavy Load Member

Jan 11, 2022
    Good to know!!

11. Dino soar

Dec 8, 2017
    If you have a source that explains that it would be good to see.

The only source that I have is the actual regulations, and they say portable heaters are illegal.

There's nothing in there that I have seen that states it's only whether the vehicle is in motion or stationary. If it does not specify, the way that would be interpreted is it's not permitted at all in your truck.

But if you have some other information that supersedes the regulation itself, that would be great to see.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.