Anybody using a space heater?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Dino soar, Jan 16, 2022.

1. Hammer166

Hammer166 Crusty Information Officer

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    OMG, are you serious?

The regulations also dictate the color of marker and clearance lights. DOT needs to get off their ##### and start writing tickets in truck stops and at truck shows, because those 2 color Revolution lights are illegal! *insert face-palm emoji here*

I'm sorry, but if you need a source to confirm that the FMCSA equipment regs don't apply to a parked truck, there's nothing on this earth bright enough to let the light be seen.

As far as what the heater regulation pertains to... Read the entirety of the section, it's blatantly obvious it's referring to combustion heaters. Much of that reg was updated in the early 50's. The electrical systems of that era were pretty marginal, and largely precluded the use of any electrical equipment with the kind of draw an electric heater has.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dino soar

Dino soar Road Train Member

Dec 8, 2017
    DOT: You have violated the regulation. Portable heaters are not permitted.

Driver: Well the guy on the internet said it's blatantly obvious that those regulations don't mean what you think that they mean. I mean it's completely and totally obvious that those regulations don't apply to portable heaters.

DOT: The regulation itself states portable heaters are prohibited.

Driver: Well the guy on the internet said that's no thing that doesn't mean anything just because it's written there in the regulations, as a regulation, the way that you always enforce the regulations, as you read the regulations, as you are telling me that's the regulation... that doesn't mean anything. I mean you only know the regulations and enforce them every day of your life, but the internet guy said you're wrong and this is just completely and totally obvious...

DOT: here is your ticket. Read what that regulation says. No portable heaters means no portable heaters in any area occupied by persons.

DRIVER : But the internet guy said it's obvious! I only use it when the truck is parked so you can't do anything to me! The internet guy told me that!

DOT: what part of reading what the regulation do you not get? Do the regulations say you're exempt if the truck is parked? Do those regulations say that you are permitted to have it in the passenger area if the truck is parked? No. IT SAYS PORTABLE HEATERS ARE PROHIBITED. Here's your ticket have a nice day. Maybe the internet guy can pay your ticket.

(6) Portable heaters. Portable heaters shall not be used in any space occupied by persons except the cargo space of motor vehicles which are being loaded or unloaded.

Now I'm not saying they're going to completely enforce that rule, they may not. I would hope they would not.

But if you think for one minute that there is a regulation that is written into those rules that if the wrong cop on the wrong day at the wrong moment decides to enforce it you're going to sit there and laugh at him and tell him that doesn't mean what he thinks it means...

Good luck with that.

4. Studebaker Hawk

Studebaker Hawk Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2010
    NW Indiana
    I ran a gasoline generator bolted either to a frame on the side or in between the frame rails from 1984 to 2020 on 4 different tractors.
    the generators in question all had large enough tanks for the generator to run full load for 10 hours. They were all gravity fed with a shutoff valve, which satisfied the regulation regarding fuel spillage. Honda's by the way. Worth the extra money.

Never had a question about it from anyone in any enforcement capacity
    In 35 years you would think in the dozens of inspections that were done on my unit someone would have said something.
    We used to haul all sorts of entertainment trailers that came from the factory with gasoline generators mounted on them. Totally legal.

As far as the electric heater? I have done them also. If you are concerned about the portable part, make it unportable. Bolt it down.
    In reality, an electric space heater is only capable of about 4500 btu's of heat. An Espar or Webasto Airtop 2000 is capable of around 7000 btu's
    And uses less diesel than the generator will use gasoline, and far less maintenance.

86scotty and Hammer166 Thank this.
  5. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    Good now I'll worry about it when dot or any Leo starts enforcing the reg's about light color...
    3 colors are allowed on ANY VEHICLE.... thats WHITE...... YELLOW (amber) and RED

Hammer166 Thanks this.
  6. Hammer166

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    Using your logic, you better uninstall the cab curtains, because the regs plainly state that the driver's view must remain unobstructed. Doesn't matter that they're only used when parked...

flood and Studebaker Hawk Thank this.
  7. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    You SAY that, but youre wrong, i see plenty with em drawn up covering the whole pass/driver side window

God prefers Diesels and Hammer166 Thank this.
  8. Hammer166

Aug 18, 2007
    ~8600+' and loving it!
    One could argue that based on which trucks one is likely to see the curtains pulled forward, that such behavior has a minimal effect on safety, as the drivers of those trucks rarely use the side windows or mirrors when they're driving. :biggrin_25511:

9. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    While a fair observation, it does rather seem that regulations seem written for lowest common denominator

10. LOTSO

LOTSO Medium Load Member

Mar 28, 2023
    Does anyone know why portable/ceramic heaters are illegal?

11. tiddlytanker

tiddlytanker Light Load Member

May 4, 2017
    Minot, ND
    Id imagine the regulation is for prohibiting portable heaters while driving, which makes sense for obvious reasons. How can it be illegal to have one in your truck unplugged/off?

Honestly, i just don't care anymore. If I want a portable heater i am going to have one.

It says "installation or use". How do you install a portable heater? Do these regs apply to all vehicles? If we are going to nitpick, that means it would be illegal to even transport a portable heater in your car.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2023
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.