anybody worried about ebola virus spreading?

Discussion in 'Driver Health' started by loose_leafs, Oct 2, 2014.

1. 00stephen

00stephen Bobtail Member

May 25, 2014
    Exactly. On one hand, participating in Doctors Without Borders seems very noble. On the other, I can't help but think "what an arrogant ***hat".

I mean, really, Oct 17? After a month of reports about medical professionals contracting the disease, he decides to come back and run around NYC? Hubris. And foolishness.

But don't worry -- our government's leadership has appointed Ron Klain, a lawyer and political hack, as the "Ebola Czar"... What could possibly go wrong?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    I'm still not worried about it. No reason to be.

4. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    It’s funny you should ask? i was looking for a thread in here that had been posted on this topic and sure enough here we are, like most topics everyone has an opinion some aren't really worried, others are really concerned not sure if any of us really know what this disease/ virus can really do as far as being a threat to the whole world? In actual fact the flu virus is more contagious as far as its ability to spread seeing it is airborne as well as touch you see most people spread the flu 2 ways, by coughing around others hence it gets airborne then when we cough we of course use our hand to cover up the cough then guess what we touch a door we shake someone’s hand etc etc then it spreads. That is the reason why if we cough when we have the flu they encourage us to cough into our elbow or shoulder instead and it’s amazing how one can adapt to this new habit. With Ebola the problem is and I hope others would agree is that anyone who has been in contact with others with this disease that they stay isolated and go into some kind of quarantine immediately for at least 21-30 days after being near someone the reason being is at present and most disturbing is that these people who've been treating patients are allowed to circulate in the general population, this is just plain madness the only way to contain the disease is to keep all people who've been near this Ebola isolated until its proven that they've got a clean bill of health, its funny cause if you own an animal and your moving overseas to another country that animal must remain in quarantine for a length of time again till it gets a clean bill of health. It may sound cruel but it seems that is the only way to prevent it spreading till they come up with some kind of vaccination.
    :Ship: :Ambulance car v2:

5. king Q

king Q Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Johannesburg sa
    What concerns me is the number of health workers getting infected.
    Earlier today I was reading about the DRC and the fairly regular outbreak of Ebola there.
    Different strain , even more lethal percentage wise.
    The common thread , many who die are health workers treating the infected.
    If it is not very contagious why is this the case?
    Its not like the health workers don't know what they are supposed and not supposed to do.
    Something does not ring true.

6. STexan

STexan Road Train Member

Oct 3, 2011
    Longview, TX
    To be fair, this makes sense. These people are working in an environment surrounded by blood, vomit and other nasty excreted "bodily fluids" and crap. Plus, they are having to separate this outer-wear from their body multiple times daily, while maintaining pristine sanitary conditions start to end.

We're not talking about simply dealing with possible remnants of a booger on a door knob.

7. ironpony

ironpony Road Train Member

Sep 23, 2007
    Ask my GPS...
    Volunteer medical folks from the first world with limited practice getting in and out of PPE are probably more at risk for infection than the people who have been dealing with the outbreak daily for months...

8. Sik_Life

Sik_Life Medium Load Member

Jan 25, 2014
    Saint Albans, WV
    In the case of the Texas hospital they clearly just dropped the ball. It doesn't take any medical experience whatsoever to do a better job at sanitation than that place did. The other problem is that the first thing these people do when they get infected is get on some sort of mass transit and spread it around whether airplane or subway or both lol.

9. DrivingForceBehindYou

DrivingForceBehindYou Medium Load Member

Aug 29, 2012
    ChicagolandOfOpportunity
    Two things happened within a short period in the U.S.
    First, nobody is shocked because Ebola is on the continent.
    Second, it does appear to be the disease of the caretakers for now.
    So, public fear subsided in that regards at least somewhat.

Not much of change in West Africa though. But it is not like it really bothered anybody before so time to go back to our bread and circus

10. king Q

king Q Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Johannesburg sa
    I considered that and it is a compelling point but I am still not convinced.
    It is not that I am an alarmist but the very high , not moderately high health worker infection rate.
    I have a moral conscience but I would not easily get involved with treating this.

11. king Q

king Q Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Johannesburg sa
    Assuming I had a choice and I got infected in West Africa would what would I do?
    Crawl under a rock and die.
    Try to get some 3rd rate treatment in a totally overwhelmed facility swimming in the virus.
    Try to get to where there is treatment if only symptomatic support that offers a small glimmer of hope.
    I don't condone the actions but understand them.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.