Anyone did DIY on cab mount bracket ?

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Slow302, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Slow302

Slow302 Medium Load Member

Jul 12, 2013
    MO
    Did anyone try replace cab mount bracket on 04+ VNL. Im talkin about whole bracket not just bushing. How do you support cab while pulling bracket out. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    Done a lot of these usually do bushing cuz its much cheaper but whole bracket is pretty simple a long 4x4 and a jack from the bottom to the frame of the cab, first you have to take the wheel well splash shields off then put the jack and the 4x4 after that loosen up the main mount bolt should be 15/16 and then the four that hold bracket to the frame.

4. Slow302

Jul 12, 2013
    MO
    About those 4 bolts/nuts. Do i have to hold bolts from inside while taking nuts off or maybe they are welded to the frame. Also you said you did bushings olny. How hard is to push out and install new bushing. What tool is needed
    Thanks

5. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    its not hard but you need to have a good hydraulic press to get it done as long as you clean them out properly its not a big deal, and yes you do have to hold the bolts from inside its a 1 and 3/16 wrench and socket. the bushings by themselver run about 50 a piece last time they send me the arm by mistake with a bushing it was like 170 i just didn't think it was worth the extra 120 that's y i say.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  6. Slow302

Jul 12, 2013
    MO
    Well im getting some other work done at local volvo steelership and they quoted me 4hrs of labor for both side and $380 for brackets

7. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    That to much for parts labor is ok if I have to press them in but parts are only 55 a bushing

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  8. Slow302

Jul 12, 2013
    MO
    No its whole brackets with bushings. Its $193 each. For the bushings they want $50 each but problem is brackets are worn out

9. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    I have done these bushing from trucks with 1.5mil to truck with 400K and ive never seen a bracket worn out did you see this yourself or is that what they said but either way 2hrs labor a side its not bad even parts are not as expensive as i thought if you buy the parts you can do them yourself if you're handy its easy probably wont even take you 4 hrs

10. Slow302

Jul 12, 2013
    MO
    No i havent seen it. I know cab is off center for ever and rattles like crazy. Sleeper sits more to the left when its on airbags. I changed old 04 setup with 4 shocks to the 05 or 06 and up with only airbags and rod and ride is much stiffer. Old setup will eat 4 shocks in no time and that what i make changes. Reason why its in shop right now because tranny issues with lo/hi range and bad vibrations. Plus rear engine mounts are bad too. Truck have 1.6mil. 230k after inframe. So i asked they how much they want for replacing cab mounts. I should get better deal with all other work done. I can do it my self but sometimes im just tired working on my truck every weekend when i get home. Takes me away from my family if you know what i mean. I do a lot of work my elf but i hate taking any bolts that is in frame. They are tight is ####. That why i asked do i have to hold 4big bolts on the brackets

11. nasriza

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    They are tight usually u might have to hear them up much easier if u had an air impact

Slow302 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.