Anyone did DIY on cab mount bracket ?

Discussion in 'Volvo Forum' started by Slow302, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Slow302

Slow302 Medium Load Member

Jul 12, 2013
    MO
    I replace bkth bracket with bushings. Boy ts like new truck now. No more ratteling. Plus volvo replace rear motor mouts so that helped too

KB3MMX and Snailexpress Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. no love for a trucker

no love for a trucker Light Load Member

Jul 28, 2013
    Greensboro, North Carolina
    I have a right front bushing that I'm trying to change on my 2009 International ProStar so you say it's easy for the metal cylinder that holds the bushing to be pushed in and out?

4. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    I replaced mine 2 months ago, not myself, Volvo shop,this is how was looking 6 month after replacing the bushing only. This are my old brackets , the bushing was inserted with a hydraulic press; I don't know if some of this damage was done during the installation. I thought I save $ buying bushing only; Now I got the whole bracket with bushing installed from factory, imo better option. They don't last more than 300-400k miles, when gets like this the truck is shaking bad.
    http://imgur.com/a/DmvQr
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2017
    Snailexpress Thanks this.
  5. Snailexpress

Snailexpress Road Train Member

Apr 28, 2014
    Rocky
    Johny, leaking air system will destroy bushings. Many drivers don't pay attention to empty airbags every morning.

KB3MMX and Johny41 Thank this.
  6. Volvo8873

Volvo8873 Light Load Member

Apr 27, 2016
    Western Wisconsin
    My 05 Volvo cab was shaking like a rattle trap. Did just the bushings and it was still shaking some but not as bad. I found that there is spacers that going on both sides of the bushing. I put some washers in to tighten of the gap and is much better.

Now to get rid of the 4 shock system and go with the rod and airbag.

KB3MMX Thanks this.
  7. no love for a trucker

Jul 28, 2013
    For the 2009 International Prostar. You have a 15/16 bolt holding the center of the bushing there are (2)18mm bolts that hold the bushing in on the bottom of the bracket that's connect to the cab that the bushing sits in the middle of. You'll need to remove the mud guard and then you need a jack and a 2×4 or 4×4 to slightly take the pressure from the cab off of the bushing. The bushing has a notch on 1 side of it that notch should be facing you and the open portion facing upward.
    You will have to take the whole mud guard off. Some WD-40 and a 1/2 inch breaker bar and a 3/8 inch breaker bar will would make your job easy. It took about all together 30 minutes to change.

8. Johny41

Johny41 Road Train Member

Feb 10, 2011
    Ontario, Canada
    Yep, my front air spring are wearing everything quickly. The worst feature of my truck is this Hendrickson air steer/ steertek axle and nobody seems to figure out how to fix it. It used to run great, first 6 years , but for about 3 years I spent over 25 grands on it and is shaking killing tires, bushings. I replaced everything , the leaf springs and airs springs 3 times, I did king pings bushings twice than the whole axle beam, hubs twice , leveling valves , cab bushings 3 times, shocks I don't know how many pairs, I got the road kings also and they don't help.

Did anyone try this polyurethane bushings?
    http://www.atrobushing.com/category/truck-under-hood-components/truck-parts/
    An interesting video, they can be molded direct in place;

9. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    @nasriza Hi, I have a 2001 Volvo VNL770 that the rear of the Cab sits to the right.

Will replacing the Cab Bushings fix this problem, and when the Bushings are installed, will it automatically line the rear of the Cab again, or does the rear Shocks need to be removed and somehow the whole Cab can be physically moved back over so it's On Center again?

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  10. nasriza

nasriza Road Train Member

Feb 1, 2013
    Chicago, IL
    its impossible to move whole cab to center it should line up a lot better than before but will not be perfect you can look at the new or 07 volvo 770 and get the bushings and torque rod in he back once you add it on it should come straight.

KB3MMX and boneebone Thank this.
  11. no love for a trucker

Jul 28, 2013
    My 2009 international prostar cab leaned towards the front right, the rubber portion of the cab bushing rotted out causing a metal to metal contact affecting the ride while going down the road, once the bushing was replace the truck road smoother and the cab straightened up.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.