Anyone ever work for postur sealy?

Discussion in 'LTL and Local Delivery Trucking Forum' started by Buckeye Don, Sep 23, 2018.

1. Buckeye Don

Buckeye Don Bobtail Member

Dec 20, 2015
    N.E. Ohio
    any good or bad experience driving for them delivering mattresses.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MazelTruck

MazelTruck Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Jersey Shore
    I used to work for a company that contracted with them. The drivers responsibility included unloading the mattresses just push them to the dock. If you have to unload a few of them it’s no big deal but after a couple of dozen you begin to feel it. The pay was below average.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  4. MazelTruck

MazelTruck Light Load Member

Apr 16, 2012
    Jersey Shore
    Also Sealy expected the deliveries to be made no matter what the condition of the equipment or the weather was like. Hope this helps.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  5. LoneCowboy

LoneCowboy Road Train Member

Oct 6, 2009
    Colorado
    I temped for Sealy a few times.

leased equipment (Penske at this barn). In a very non-union town, they are a union (Teamster) shop. I was blown away when i found that out.

didn't care at all about the drivers. nothing. (not even a bathroom. pretty much here's your paperwork, your trailer is in the yard, maybe)

The loads are really light. You get a load and it weighs 10,000lbs and you're thinking great, just a few. But no, open the door and it's a 100 mattresses, floor to ceiling, front to back.

You're supposed to tailgate the mattresses, bring them to the tailgate (no ladder, no lift, just climb on up) and the store personal are supposed to take them from there. It usually works like that. You're supposed to pick up the mattresses and carry them to the end.

Nobody does that. They slide them along the floor (plastic wrapped). most are not bad (and box springs are easy) but those big fancy King beds that cost 2,000 dollars? Yeah, they weigh like 400lbs one receiver told me and they fold over on you trying to push them. Not easy. By the time you get to the back of the trailer it's a long 53 feet to push them.

it doesn't pay well and you have to fingerprint everything of course. And they cared not one whit about the drivers.

They ran fast though, governed at IIRC like 70mph.

Meh, it's a job, but I can see why they got unionized.

Simmons is actually supposed to be worse.

Mike2633 Thanks this.
  6. Russian Rabbit

Russian Rabbit Road Train Member

Jan 3, 2016
    i temped for Sealy (Serta) also a few times:

Yes, they are union.
    Yes, it's mostly lame, dirty-###, pesky tractors. Trailers aren't the newest, but they get the job done.
    Yes, you pretty much slide the mattresseses to the rear of the trailer and the store personnel take it in from there. No-one ever instructed me to carry the entire mattress, so i/we slide them to the rear.

Occasionally, the store/warehouse peeps get in there and help you----usually if they are younger and maler. But it's usually not the case.

Seems like it most cases you would drive like 2 hours, unload and come back. OR, if multi-stop, drive 2 hours unload, drive 1/2 hour,unload, another 1hour unload and come back.

In my opinion, not a bad gig because it's all daytime work and the sliding mattreses really isn't a big deal.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.