Anyone Experienced ELD HOS Fines?

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Proxy, May 29, 2019.

1. Dennixx

Dennixx Road Train Member

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    Not sure but I had always just taken 30 off duty and it has sufficed for us but yesterday on the new eld it had a special button for "break".
    I used it at lunch.
    Ours has like red flags per se, that if something isn't right it highlights it so we can fix it.
    I'd also heard the break for our operation anyways, is going away as any on duty activity other than driving will work to satisfy the 30 min break rule. Not sure when though.

TallJoe Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. dibstr

dibstr Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Mississippi
    You are correct. There is no federal requirement to show what you do, just where and when you have a duty status change.

TallJoe Thanks this.
  4. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    You need to give a remark for yard move or personal conveyance, we have several choices to choose from, 'other' requires a further explanation.

I usually hit skip for reason if given that choice (for on duty or off duty).

5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    All that's legally required is nearest city, which as part of the ELD law the ELD is required to provide. All the driver needs to do is press the off-duty button and all is legal.
    Now that said, with California requiring specific breaks, in Cali it may be different.

6. Charlie Best

Charlie Best Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2019
    Iowa
    It seems like a lot of drivers feel like they can "cheat the system." I had a few older drivers in the small fleet in which I used to drive, and they would usually unplug the ELD or try to change a ton of driving time to personal conveyance. It was moronic, and they got put out of service more than a few times because of it. I don't think they realize that ELDs are legally designed to sense any kind of unplugging or covert operation a driver tries to commit. I think the only way you can get them to realize they need to use these things is to tell them that they will A) get put out of service and/or heavily fined, which will B) lead you to firing them. I think that's the only way you can get through to them.

7. deathB4decaf

deathB4decaf Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2018
    Let's be honest, we typically know what the rules say but everything seems to be open to the interpretation of the DOT officer you get. I spoke with one officer on the phone when my driver was in New Mexico. She swore up and down that we needed an ELD even though we were exempt because the unit was the commodity being delivered. I have a small book of the different random exemptions and whatnot directly from the FMCSA website in case they run into more situations like this because they have.

All of the drivers I work with are seasoned. They have all struggled with the ELD and I have spent extra time with them because of it. Since we communicate so openly, when I notice the stubbornness it is typically because they truly do not understand. I made a step by step book for them. Yeah, some of them just don't want to deal with it but sometimes they don't want to deal with it because it is frustrating. I'm not one to jump on punishment or firing because a lot of times it is just someone needing extra help.

kemosabi49 and Dennixx Thank this.
  8. Dennixx

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    I'm an old hand that remembers when 2 logs were the norm.
    I have been using a obc for the last 11 years and the changeover to eld is nothing insurmountable, but the company's that are invested in the technology have to keep their end of the bargain.
    Today everyone couldn't reach the host from the truck tablets.
    Boss says he ain't got time to deal w it, use paper.
    We said find time to call or we will not leave the yard.
    A driver finally got ahold of some suit who told us a server was down.
    Wait time was between 1 and 2 hours.
    For us not a big deal as we are being paid since we go on duty on the driver's room computer.
    What burns me is that the drivers will be held responsible and fined for malfunctioning equipment.

9. deathB4decaf

deathB4decaf Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2018
    When the drivers run into issues like that, I make sure to send them a text stating that the issues are with the ELD and to run on paperlogs. That way they have proof to DOT that someone from base has given them instructions and advised of the issues.

I'm only 36 and I will walk away from my TV if it isn't just doing what I want it to so I can't imagine trying to constantly work with and ELD on the road when your career depends on it. That's why I take the extra time with the drivers.

10. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    See stuff like this isn't a problem with ELD's though. It's a problem with the crappy ELD your company uses. There is nothing in the ELD law that requires a server or internet connection. A good ELD, like what we use, will try to hit the server so all the logs are up to date, but if it can't it simply saves everything until it can. Might need paper copies for the last 7 days if you are switching trucks, that's all.

11. Dennixx

Feb 13, 2010
    twin cities
    I'll be sure to let Trimble know that our 3000 tablet/ELD units are crap.
    We were not asked nor are we paying.
    That is precisely why they pay a service $1300 per unit and a monthly fee.

Not only do you need to have your last weeks logs available if asked you are also required to have 7 blank logs w you.
    And I have a different unit each day as do all the drivers nationwide.
    If you are asked by a leo to provide your logs to a web address or email for inspection you'd better be able to provide them whether electronically or via paper.
    My point is the government wants to account for every revolution of the tire and I have no problem w that but if your eld goes down reroute and you are inspected whose fault/fine is it?
    Now you want me to run an eld and keep paper?

Last edited: Oct 18, 2019
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.