Anyone got a ticket,,,

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Infosaur, Dec 2, 2018.

1. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I thought I remembered the rule being only 48 hrs to get an elog repaired (which I thought was just beyond stupid) but I googled & its 8 days. You can not drive for more than 8 days on paper.

What must a driver do if there is an ELD malfunction?
    Continue to manually prepare RODS in accordance with 49 CFR 395.8 until the ELD is serviced and back in compliance. The recording of the driver’s hours of service on a paper log cannot continue for more than 8 days after the malfunction; a driver that continues to record his or her hours of service on a paper log beyond 8 days risk being placed out of service.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    While true, a driver only needs last 8 days of logs, there is no way for a roadside or coop to be able to determine how long the eld has actually been broken.
    The driver can simply say it broke 8 days ago ..

Grumppy Thanks this.
  4. Grumppy

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    True... thanks for that..... :)

ZVar Thanks this.
  5. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    You are also supposed to notify you company of the malfunction in writing, iirc.

Number9 Thanks this.
  6. EuropeanTrucker

EuropeanTrucker Medium Load Member

Jun 15, 2018
    I have extra ELD in my truck just in case that happens.

7. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    I am not an ELD lover at all but I can see without much effort that the first immense oversight they made was their allowing free market for ELD devices. They don't have the slightest clue what the magnitude of e-log falsifying is because many providers developed "sloppy" ELDs - some perhaps intentionally. This mandate ought to require a very high level of licensing for ELD providers. For this thing to be enforceable and manageable, there should be at the most 3 or 4 providers and that's it.. On the other hand, I'd hate to see the likes of Keep Truckin to thrive even more.

8. Grumppy

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I think this will end up where only the strong survive. In the end, there's going to be 3 or 4 just like you said & companies will choose from those. I look forward to it. The small company I work for went the cheapest route & got a Garmin adapter & use it with my phone. This is a cheap system that does work but it stops occasionally due to loosing blue tooth connection. Sometimes If I leave the truck to go in to get my fuel ticket etc, when I come back out, I have to restart my phone or remove & re-insert the adapter for it to connect. While it is compliant, its cheaply designed & is not easy to edit errors, if the ability exists at all. Its just lacking in my opinion.
    So, I'll be glad when all the junk is weeded out & the better devices are all that's left.

9. maninthemoon1

maninthemoon1 Medium Load Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Garrison ky
    They law makers , that allowed out D.O.T. to impose this should join those commie ######## on the firing line.
    Intructions to all shooters ..."Aim high"
    as in between the eyes.

10. doc43204

doc43204 Bobtail Member

Aug 14, 2018
    OH
    go to the FMCSA site, there is a form you can download and print. or just google ELD exemption form. can be used with any exemption including the broken ELD exemption. just need a copy of your last 8 days, as always.

11. CousinVinny

CousinVinny Medium Load Member

Jan 26, 2015
    New Jersey
    Drivers are also required to maintain an ELD malfunction instruction sheet. Failure to have one may result in the driver accumulating 1 point upon inspection.

See: https://ai.fmcsa.dot.gov/SMS/Carrier/265752/BASIC/HOSCompliance/Violations/NumViolsDESC.aspx

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.