Anyone have a Garmin Dash Cam 45?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Grumppy, Apr 4, 2018.

1. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    I just bought one yesterday & I have some questions.

I finally figured out that it records anytime its on, but when I push the bottom button to save the video, how much video does it save? I mean 10 sec, 30 sec, 60 sec, 30 minutes, an hour? The manual says it says it loops, but doesn't say how often it loops, so does it save everything record in its last loop? I mean, if I want to save the last 5 minutes of video, will it save that much? If not, again, how much (time) video does it save?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    Not sure. I have the Garmin 35. Used it for about a year and fortunately never needed it for anything important. I tried pushing the save button a few times and every time I went to look at the video, it only saved what happened "after" I pushed the button, which does absolutely no good at all. Guess I should have read the instructions a little better. That's what I get for using my points to get a truck stop dash cam.

Grumppy Thanks this.
  4. snowwy

snowwy Road Train Member

Jul 6, 2009
    Seems like i tried a cell phone app that did the same thing. Saved forward. And i think it only saved the loop which i could set the time duration.

Been a few years since i used it.

5. ACO476

ACO476 Light Load Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Texas
    It saves 3 minutes. 1.5 minutes before and after you hold the capture button down. I run a 64gb card in mine and it saves 3 full days of video in one minute increments before it overwrites the oldest files.

Hegemeister and Grumppy Thank this.
  6. Grumppy

Grumppy Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Dec 11, 2010
    West Monroe, La
    To start saving video, press the bottom button... but how do I stop it. At this point, I just have an 8 gig card that came with it.

I started it, & when I pressed the button again. It took a picture. Then I held it down until it beeped & it was still recording/saving the video. I think it started a new file & recorded a 2nd video there. But, I never did figure out how to stop it from saving the video once it started.

All the reviews talk about how simple this is, but I'm struggling with this thing. I guess I'm just getting old.. These new fangled gadgets!! You can imagine why I hate the new ELDs so much.

7. ACO476

ACO476 Light Load Member

Jan 16, 2016
    Texas
    It will record non-stop as long as you have power. If you want to save 3 minutes of video because of an incident, you press and hold the bottom button. It will save it in a folder on the device called saved videos I believe. You have to hook it up to a computer to view your saved videos or you can download them to your phone with the Garmin app.

If the camera is plugged in there is no way to stop it from recording. It records until it detects an incident or until you tell it to save 3 minutes of video. As you know, you can tap the bottom button and take a picture. This is useful if you've been in an accident and don't have another camera handy.

Grumppy and SteveScott Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.