Anyone have experience with Schneider or Kriska?

Discussion in 'Canadian Truckers Forum' started by Ind0792, Oct 20, 2018.

1. Ind0792

Ind0792 Light Load Member

Oct 14, 2018
    I went to a trucking open house today and talked with representatives from both these companies. Naturally, they tried to tell me how great it is to work for each.
    Has anyone here worked for either and want to give me the straight goods?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Garththomas

Garththomas Light Load Member

Feb 10, 2017
    Im still getting recruitment emails from Schneider a year after talking to them. I think both these companies are good the crunch comes when you find out how long they want you to work for less money and thats what turned me off. As a new guy Contrans was the best choice to get up to full scale and be paid the most for training.

BigHossVolvo, Jazz1 and Ind0792 Thank this.
  4. Ind0792

Oct 14, 2018
    Tell me more.

5. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    You should post the rates offered. I see no reason a new driver should be paid less than experienced. I been at this 40 years and the new guy generates exactly the same revenue as I do.

BigHossVolvo Thanks this.
  6. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
    Well here's the companies to work for....not. Bison? Canada Cartage. These are "usual suspects for driving like idiots and causing accidents"
    This award ceremony is nothing more than a bunch of Back slapping good old boys gathering for a circle jerk while promoting their brand

Phantom Trucker Thanks this.
  7. Jazz1

Jazz1 Road Train Member

May 7, 2012
    Thunder Bay On
  8. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Top 3 to work for, when you’re new IMHO (in Toronto)
    #1 Challenger #2 ERB/K-Kdac #3 Robert

Top 10 to Avoid (The Usual Suspects)
    #1 Bison #2 H&R #3 Lightspeed #4 People Express #5 Canada Cartage #6 CNTL #7 Day and Ross #8 Highland Transport #9 SLH #10 TransX/QuickX/CanXpress

9. Ind0792

Oct 14, 2018
    What makes those top three so appealing? It's an honest question, since I know very little about them.

10. truckmath

truckmath Bobtail Member

Oct 20, 2018
    Drive for Schneider in Guelph to start out. The pay is bad, but they will show you how to do proper turns and backing. The guy with the big white beard and cowboy hat is the best city trainer. Turn your listening ears on, because he doesn't like repeating himself. Don't count on the safety bonus, they will give you a 2012 Columbia that burns as much oil as diesel and makes Fort Mac look like a green paradise; you guessed it, poor fuel mileage, no safety bonus for you.

The problem with trucking schools in Ontario is that you'll never get to do enough backing practice. The most critical aspect of driving comes at a time when it's dark outside, you need to park somewhere (legally) for the night, and there's one spot left in the truck stop with no pull-through option. I made it my mission to do as much 90 degree narrow backing as I possibly could, even in situations where a pull-through was entirely possible. Then when I left Schneider, I went to another company and drove East Coast, and I was very glad that I did all that practice, because the East Coast isn't driver-friendly. As one guy told me at his warehouse, "If you got real estate here, you got money. That's why our yard is small." You will find yards that have less than 100 feet of space from the fence to the dock, making backing a nice challenge. That's why you have adjustable tandem sliders - the only way you'll have enough backing room in some of these places is to move your tandems all the way forward, and then move them back once you're in the correct position.

11. BigHossVolvo

BigHossVolvo Road Train Member

Dec 15, 2016
    Calgary, Alberta
    Good Pay, Practical Miles VS City to City, Good Equipment, Good Trailers, Treated like a person, They don't waste millions on marketing or BS safety awards, They will send you coast to coast, border to border. Not just round and round on the same 3 triangles, while everything else gets turnpiked, they won't hire just anyone with a pulse.

Know guys at all 3, know more guys who started at Challenger, all of them agree they are a good company. Many who quit Challenger to work for other companies, regret leaving Challenger. ERB/K-Dac is prob one of the top 5 best companies in Canada, low turnover, happy drivers, good equipment and planning. Robert is the big name in Auto Parts in Ontario, lots of specialized hauling, turnpikes and dedicated runs.

Ind0792 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.