Anyone OCD about parking?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by mjfreespirit, Dec 8, 2016.

1. mjfreespirit

mjfreespirit Light Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Florida
    Are you the type that backs into a spot...almost perfectly, but find the innate need to make your parking job as geometrically correct and center as possible?

I'm guilty of this. I've gotten much better at backing over the last few years, and now I'm pulling up, squaring off getting over that inch over that way....yes I must be perfectly center in a spot. Guess it comes from my carnival truck driving when loads needed to be exactly on location or maybe I'm just crazy.

Anyone have this?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. pocketaces

pocketaces Light Load Member

Aug 23, 2016
    Lol. Guilty. And the steer tires better be straight too. Can't be looking like a rookie.

4. mjfreespirit

mjfreespirit Light Load Member

Dec 4, 2012
    Florida
    Oh yea, steering wheel in the truck can't be crooked either!

ncmickey and NavigatorWife Thank this.
  5. Blackshack46

Blackshack46 Road Train Member

What to do if your steering wheel is ####ed but your steer tires are straight. That irks me.

6. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Wow what happens when you can't park straight or have to park where your wheels have to be turned?

Come on, overthinking makes lousy drivers.

Just be courteous, make sure there is enough room for people to get by or to have the truck next to you pull out.

7. boneebone

boneebone Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2009
    To fix that problem on most trucks with a recirculating gearbox, make sure your front wheels are pointed straight or the direction you choose, open your hood up and loosen the steering shaft pinch bolt that attaches the steering shaft to the gear box.

Use a pry bar and gently pry upwards to release the shaft from the splines on the gearbox.

Go inside your truck, straighten the steering wheel, go back outside and reset the steering shaft back on the gearbox splines (you may need to gently use a mallet to set it on the splines) and tighten the pinch bolt.

Lepton1 and Blackshack46 Thank this.
  8. Byx

Byx Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2014
    As long as I am in at least two spaces, can throw trash out the passenger window without hitting a trashcan or dumpster, get good signal for my travel satellite dish, be within spitting distance of the nearest food source, and as far away from those dang company driver rookies I'm good.

91B20H8, Bakerman, addrenjunky and 2 others Thank this.
  9. 03machwon

03machwon Light Load Member

Jun 19, 2013
    Yes I always make sure I am straight and centered in a spot. would be nice if all drivers would do this as it would give us oversize guys more available spots

Lepton1 and ncmickey Thank this.
  10. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    As long as I'm between the fuel pumps I'm good lol

11. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    I don't measure my parking jobs in millimeters but I do measure them in inches and I try to be centered within an inch or two.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.