Anyone take a break from trucking?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by Canadianhauler21, Jul 28, 2022.

1. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    Man, I got all fired up and headed straight to Indeed to look up NEMT jobs. Only one position listed in a 50 mile radius of home. Full time $500-700 per week...AND I have to use my own car. No mention if gas is reimbursed so I would assume it's not.

They don't need drivers bad enough in my part of the country. o_O

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    I did the same thing! It's certainly not paying well enough in my neck of the woods either.

4. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I met a guy a few years ago that worked 6 months on and 6 off. As long as he came back no longer than 6 months, his employer let him back in no questions asked.

bentstrider83 Thanks this.
  5. Lennythedriver

Lennythedriver Road Train Member

Feb 14, 2020
    I don’t understand why most companies don’t allow this. If a driver is burned out and they wanna quit they’re gonna quit. And then you just lose a driver. But if a driver takes extensive time off and fully recharge them self, they’re gonna be a good driver when they come back. And if the wheels are turning, everybody’s earning. Why wouldn’t they? It’s because they wanna squeeze every last drop they can out of every driver, but a smart company would look at the long run. Some guys just aren’t cut out to drive only taking resets, for years in and years out. But they can still be a good driver bringing a good profit margin to a good company.

Hell in the current environment, most drivers quit within a year anyhow.

6. Moosetek13

Moosetek13 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2010
    Burnsville, MN
    Something like your example would not be a chastising moment, and likely quite the opposite.
    You would be commended for your quick reactions to avoid an accident.

It happened to me.
    Not a car cutting over, but a guy driving a lawn mower. A little lawn mower next to the receiver, not the big ones on the highway.
    I was moving into the left turn lane when this guy just suddenly cut over in front of me. He didn't even look and I had no idea why he was cutting across 2 lanes of road into the turn lane, but there he was.
    I didn't miss him but by a few feet, so with the angle I could not even see all of him at one point.
    It triggered a hard braking event, of course.
    No need to worry about those kinds of things.

If you are a driver that likes to tailgate or roll through stop signs, then you should worry.
    Not as much about the nanny cam, but for your own unsafe driving habits.

7. Mattflat362

Mattflat362 Road Train Member

Feb 18, 2015
    Avon Lake, Ohio
    I think you guys are looking at NEMT jobs.

No need for those! Just add a wheelchair van to your authority and adjust your insurance!??

No brokers needed! Easy direct marketing to every single nursing home in your area and you will be set from what I am seeing.

I am seriously thinking about doing it!

Thanks for mentioning it @CargoWahgo

8. ProfessionalNoticer

ProfessionalNoticer Road Train Member

Apr 25, 2021
    They'll force you to be a lab rat for the pharmaceutical companies via the Covid-1984 jab and strap on a face muzzle too in order to haul patients around though.

9. CargoWahgo

CargoWahgo Road Train Member

Jan 10, 2012
    Louisville, Kentucky

Be careful with that certain states have contracts to where every carrier had to get booked thru a single broker and the rates are fixed for a set amount of years.

My state is one of those states and I worked for the state hence the stupid pay. All the people with their own companies hated my guts because I was making all the money.

The less we did the more we made. We already had the contract and the money.

It was corrupt as all hell lol.

Indeed is just full of Arabs with crappy Toyota Siennas. Most of em don't even have real lifts.

10. Redtwin

Redtwin Road Train Member

Aug 17, 2012
    PBC, FL
    The Indeed listing I saw wanted you to use your own car. May as well just do Uber or Lyft...unless those guys are making less than $5-700 per week.

11. '88K100

'88K100 Road Train Member

Aug 23, 2020
    I took 1 1/2 years off when I quit long haul early 90's when trucking when down hill....took some courses to extend my EI. Considered career change but fell into a line haul job which is definitely for people too lazy to get a real job:D

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.