Anyone using Garmin ELD

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by JNtransport, May 13, 2018.

1. JNtransport

JNtransport Bobtail Member

Apr 22, 2017
    Im trying to kill 2 birds with one stone. I need a new GPS and have a old garmin. I’m sick of using my phone for my ELD. I haul cars and use my phone for inspections and pictures so every time I walk away from the truck I have to connect to the BT device and put my password in. Was hoping to get the Garmin ELD also but haven’t really been able to find much information about issues or bugs with it.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Atlaw4u

Atlaw4u Heavy Load Member

Jun 8, 2018
    I was considering the Garmin for the same reason. I've heard good things about their GPS unit and I like the idea of using the GPS as my ELD screen. However, if you look at the reviews on Amazon for the Garmin ELD you will see the ELD has gotten quite a few poor reviews.
    I would like to here from any members that have real world experience with it. As for now I'm leaning toward the Blue Ink bit ELD. It has no monthly fee and so far, has good reviews.

4. WREN

WREN Medium Load Member

Jul 17, 2017
    Florida panhandle
    I bought the new 785 but havent used it yet. I like the size of it for sure.

5. TallJoe

TallJoe Road Train Member

Apr 12, 2016
    Chicagoland
    Anyone has been using it? Any input so far on how the Garmin ELD is doing...? I feel like replacing my old GPS with Garmin. Just want to have one device with an ELD display and truck GPS. I was thinking about one of those larger 7 inch screens 785 or so. The fact that all the ELD data is stored and managed by me only is appealing to me as well.

6. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    Garmin ELD has worked great for me. For a bare-bones ELD to be compliant with the mandate, it'll do the job. If you're looking for bells & whistles, it probably won't. If you want it to work as a stand-alone with the GPS, I'm pretty sure you need the #80 series (580, 780, etc...) dēzl GPS. I have the 570, and use a dedicated tablet. BT connected to both the GPS and the ELD, it shows my hours on the GPS screen (allowing me to turn off the tablet display to conserve the battery).

Every once in a while, they'll update the app...and sometimes things move or start working a little different, so keep a close eye on things for a day or two after any updates to make sure all of the required info is still on your log...for example, for a while trailer numbers you'd enter them when you hooked and delete them when you dropped, and every trailer you moved the truck with that day would show up. Then, one update it started requiring dates to be entered with trailer numbers (which I really didn't care for, since sometimes I'm hooked to a trailer for a couple weeks...and other times I'll pull 4 or 5 trailers in a day...and I never know how long I'll be hooked to it). Ran into another issue with that update in that if you weren't still deleting trailer numbers when you dropped them, even if the date you'd entered had long passed and it was no longer showing up on your log, you couldn't enter more than 3 trailer numbers.

Nothing too bad, and once you figured out what changed and how to deal with the new update, it really isn't a bad little ELD.

KB3MMX, Dieselboss and TallJoe Thank this.
  7. The PHD in truckin!

The PHD in truckin! Bobtail Member

Mar 5, 2018
    Texas
    I have the Garmin eld along with the dezl 785 dezlcam. Been running it for about 7 months straight. All I can tell you for sure is this: when either one of the gadgets starts acting weird, it's because there's a fresh update and the machines are trying to tell you to get it .

true blue Thanks this.
  8. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    I have installed Garmin ELD today. Odometer and engine hours are not correct. Plus this junk will show to inspector when you started the engine and when you stop it. All corrections will be seen to DOT inspector. Even if you change on duty to off duty dot will see it. If you disconnect it and drive 5-10 miles and connect it there will be fault seen .

true blue, Intothesunset and TallJoe Thank this.
  9. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    data is stored in you device but when dot officer will take a look he will see too much information. No way to play games, even small ones )))

true blue and TallJoe Thank this.
  10. Pedigreed Bulldog

Pedigreed Bulldog Road Train Member

May 7, 2011
    That's pretty much how they ALL are supposed to work. Welcome to the world of ELD's.

As for your odometer and engine hours being off, the ELD reads that info from your ECM...NOT your dash gauges.

11. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    KT eld does not show when you started the engine and stop it. roadside inspector can't see corrections with annotations .

TallJoe Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.