Anyone With a DD15 and boost gauge. I need to verify something.

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by LoneRanger, Dec 8, 2021.

1. LameMule

LameMule Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Montana
    Variable geometry turbo? If so the vanes stick and they'll get stuck in the closed position. I've seen it on duramax pickups and 6.7 cummins. Just my first guess.

LoneRanger Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lester

lester Midwest's #1 Feed Hauler

Jan 2, 2012
    NW, Iowa
    No you do not need back pressure to drive the turbo. The turbo creates back pressure between engine and turbo but after turbo back pressure IS NOT NEEDED. Back pressure after the turbo limits how well your turbo can work. If there is an excess of back pressure after turbo it wouldn't be able to spin. Think of it as a water pump, if you block the outlet side of a water pump the pump will slow down or stop spinning because the water can't go anywhere. It would build back pressure and again the pump would slow or stop.

LameMule Thanks this.
  4. LoneRanger

LoneRanger Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2018
    i might have explained it wrong, as the turbo creates back pressure on the exhaust. You are correct on a after turbo back pressure would stop the turbo.

typing that out now makes me wonder why I have boost, when I didn’t before in the same situation.

It’s a Vgt turbo if I’m not mistaken. If that’s the case then maybe my turbo isn’t working correctly.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2021
  5. LoneRanger

Jun 3, 2018
    anyway to fix it?

6. Dave1837

Dave1837 Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2019
    Pennsylvania
    What's the temperature like where you're at? It's cold where I live and my Mack started spooling the turbo the same as yours does. It does it at idle too, to keep itself warmed up it puts a load on itself

LoneRanger Thanks this.
  7. LoneRanger

Jun 3, 2018

Range is 25F-70F I’ll check and see if it does it in warm weather.

8. LameMule

LameMule Road Train Member

Jan 19, 2020
    Montana
    Assuming that was even your problem... on the 07.5 and 08 6.7 cummins you had to remove the turbo and physically clean the exhaust side of the turbo. The vanes that are driven by an actuator would get gummed up with soot and a good brake clean bath would do the trick.

It was ridiculous to have to remove the turbo and disassemble it on a regular basis so cummins had a "cleaning port" added to the turbo on later years so you could simply spray the vanes clean without removing anything.

A good scan tool or laptop would tell you if your turbo actuator is traveling fully and returning to 0 or if exhaust backpressure is high due to numerous reasons such as others stated.

When those turbo vanes would first begin to get gummed up it would show itself by a brief delay in the exhaust brake hanging on slightly after you returned to throttle. You would typically (assuming you were smart enough to notice) release the throttle and get back in it a few times engaging and disengaging the exhaust brake and it would free up the vanes in the turbo. That would work a few times but it would be imperative to get the turbo cleaned asap because it can build up a ton of cylinder pressure and heat by trying to pull a hill with your exhaust brake partially or fully on.

I don't know what your actual problem is but that turbo issue came to mind when reading your post. You really should hook up a scanner to it, it'll save you a ton of time.

gentleroger Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.