Anyone Work For Millis?

Discussion in 'Millis' started by skullitor, Jun 10, 2007.

1. rubberducky68

rubberducky68 Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Jefferson GA
    Me too. Go DAWGS!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rubberducky68

Sep 9, 2010
    Jefferson GA

Okay, someone please tell Mike Millis I really want to work here! Good miles, good food. What's not to like? :biggrin_255:

4. Old MP

Old MP Light Load Member

May 31, 2011
    Cassville, GA
    RD, just reapply. And when you get the chance you tell them how much you want to work there. It would work better coming from you. Call Mike Millis yourself. It's free to ask.

5. rubberducky68

Sep 9, 2010
    Jefferson GA
    I may reapply after I get 6-12 months experience somewhere else. Finish tech school in 3 weeks so hope to be on with a company shortly after.

I got myself in a financial position to be able to do the Millis gig but I guess when they saw my long form where I had a back injury not so long ago they changed their mind about me. I am assuming that is what shot me out of the saddle anyway because they sure didn't find any dirt on me as I have lived a very boring life!

6. Baritone

Baritone Road Train Member

Aug 9, 2008
    Lexington, Ky
    I agree - I have met several drivers that are not getting many miles. Each time I ask them why they never seem to know. It's always someone else's fault.

As I ask more questions the truth comes out
    1) they go home every 10 days or less and that will kill your miles unless your regional.
    2) they use the entire amount time to deliver a load that can legally be delivered much sooner. (We all know most of our loads have much more time on them then needed to get to the customer.) I spend more time each day trying to deliver early/drop or what ever it takes then I do trying to make short or "needed yesterday" loads. Not that we dont get those that are late when dispatched to us, but it's not common. When that does happen my appointment is always reset.
    3) They have or are usually late either to p/u or deliver and it's the drivers fault due to oversleeping, poor route planning etc.

I am not "gods gift to trucking" but I do my job, never late, always deliver early and NEVER EVER question my dispatcher. Whatever he sends me I run. As long as it's legal. I do not take any longer than I need to get a load to the customer. Which in doing so, affords me at least one more load each week then someone who doesnt. I have averaged between 2800 and 3200 a week for almost 2 years now.

So I ask you (original poster) what is the real story?

Cooper09, Old MP, L.B. and 1 other person Thank this.
  7. L.B.

L.B. Third Generation Truck Driver

Jul 23, 2007
    Middle GA
    I see the same thing on regional. I also notice its always the same people saying they get no miles and are hanging around the yards. I hardly ever get to a yard. Maybe they spend too much time hanging out when they should be driving.

Here's a conversation for you... I'm sitting in Albany waiting on a load, which is rare. Driver comes in and is all, "got a load going to (insert town here), where are you going?"
    So I'm like, "No where yet, I'm waiting for a load. If you already have a load, why are you still here?"

Maybe it's just me, but on regional, I run my time out every single day. Most days I am shutting down with single digit minutes left on the clock and if I sit during the day waiting to get unloaded I split sleeper berth to keep running and squeeze as much as I can out of my time because I only have Monday thru Friday to make my hours. This also means I get a reset every weekend so I'm not worried about running out of hours for the week. And i keep running because MILLIS always seems to have miles for me to run. I can count on one hand the days I have had to sit more than an hour waiting for my next load. And because I run the way I do, my normal miles for the week is up to over 2600 (Monday thru Friday). I hear regional guys getting more miles than me, but you never see them around the yard. Hmmm........ :)

Cooper09 and Old MP Thank this.
  8. samurai

samurai Heavy Load Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Fairborn, OH
    LB i had a question about regional. do you run the same routes all the time? how many states does it cover? and is the pay the same?

9. L.B.

Jul 23, 2007
    Middle GA
    All the pay is the same scales. I run out of Albany, GA and deliver to ga, sc, nc, fl, al, ms and been to va once. My normal routine is this... I take the truck to the house over the weekend (not all do, it's based on your home location) and have a beer load that delivers Monday morning. Once delivered, I'll pick up a different kind of load (glass, Shaw Flooring, paper, soda, cat food, or if I'm close enough to another brewery like in nc I'll pick up more beer) and work my way back towards Atlanta or Albany. If I go to Atlanta I will typically pick up glass bottles going to the brewery and the cycle starts all over again. If I go to Albany, it's straight back to a beer run.

I do deliver to the same places all the time, but I like that because you learn the fastest ways to get there and the more you go to the same places the more miles you can squeeze into a week. I am seeing more diversity to regional lately. Last week I ran mostly Cardinal Glass loads all over between NC and FL.

Cooper09 and Old MP Thank this.
  10. L.B.

Jul 23, 2007
    Middle GA
    I'll add this too, because I've seen people complain about "short" 500 mile loads. The longest load I've had on regional was last week and it was only 560 miles or so from Atlanta to Venice, FL. Longest beer load is 503, from Albany to Raleigh. Shortest load has be 35 miles but that was only once. I did run inside the loop in Atlanta before but they paid me by the hour for that.

Old MP Thanks this.
  11. samurai

samurai Heavy Load Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Fairborn, OH
    cool thanks for the info.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.