App plates VS Standard plates?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 2hellandback, Feb 15, 2009.

1. droy

droy Heavy Load Member

Jun 11, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    When I was independent hauling grain, my LA based app tags cost $500-$700, for base state + 4 or 5 others; price difference was due to dropping a state, and miles run in each state. ($ per mile varies slightly state to state).

Now leased out, my app tags for LA base and 47 others average $1500, once again cost depends on which states and amount of miles run.
    First year of tag purchase, you do a mileage estimate for each state you want to be licensed in, after that, you are billed on the previous years mileage + any changes you might make.

LA offers a "B" tag, good for Lousy-anna only, and up to 80,000#; with this tag you can also purchase trip permits for other states at any time. I would think other states offer the same.

In any case, the 2290 at $550/year applies, and somewhere in the mix, insurance radius coverage comes into play. 150 mi., 300 mi., 500mi., and unlimited are the options offered.
    Even though I started out licensed for 6 states, I had to have unlimited coverage because I had my own authority, (big $ increase).

Last edited: Feb 22, 2009
    PharmPhail Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.