Appliances burning out

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by Dobber2450, Oct 29, 2018.

1. Dobber2450

Dobber2450 Bobtail Member

Feb 15, 2018
    So the other night my playstation just decided to stop turning on. On top of that my microwave doesn't heat nearly as fast. Do I have a bad inverter/connection somewhere or am I doing something wrong? Does starting the truck send a surge of power through the inverter overloading everything?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BrandonCDLdriver

BrandonCDLdriver Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    No. Starting the truck draws from the batteries, there is no "surge." But it sounds like you have a bad inverter. It has nothing to do with the truck starting or not.

Sirscrapntruckalot and Tb0n3 Thank this.
  4. mitchtazz

mitchtazz Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Lake Wales, Fl
    A.C. power by nature is "pure sin wave" (the power from the outlet at your house), A.C. power from an inverter is "modified sin wave".

In theory they're pretty much the same, but your devices can tell the difference and prefers the "pure sin wave".

There are "pure sin wave" inverters, but they are not cheap.

5. Dobber2450

Feb 15, 2018
    So are you saying if I buy new stuff I run the risk of losing it again??

6. driverdriver

driverdriver Road Train Member

May 30, 2011
    Yes.
    You need to get a pure sin inverter.

buddyd157 Thanks this.
  7. mitchtazz

mitchtazz Road Train Member

Sep 6, 2009
    Lake Wales, Fl
    Everything I plug into my inverter uses a power adapter (the awkward thing on the power cord that converts ac to dc power) so I've been lucky enough to only have to replace power adapters.

But yes, your stuff will keep burning up.

8. Dobber2450

Feb 15, 2018
    Do they make power strips like that? Something that could keep that from happening without replacing the inverter?

9. kemosabi49

kemosabi49 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Jan 13, 2013
    SW Arkansas
    I've noticed that the "awkward thing" , the power converter on my laptop cord got really warm when I used a modified sine wave inverter. But after I got a pure sine wave it stayed cool. Big difference.

10. uncleal13

uncleal13 Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2009
    Humboldt, Sk
    I second getting a pure sine wave inverter. Everything works much better with one. Some gadget I have would not run at all on my old modified sine wave inverter.

jsnell Thanks this.
  11. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Look guys I've explained this once before, when you use cheap crap inverters, the power supplies to a lot of things can not function properly and will stop working. The power supplies for laptop chargers and gaming boxes are what is called switching power supplies and some of them are so cheap they use the line frequency to set the internal switching frequencies to produce the voltage that is needed by the item you are using.

When they get hot, they are working to adjust themselves to the noise and dirty power that they encounter with a cheap crappy inverter.

Same with the OP's microwave, it is in distress mode because of the line noise and crap that it can't filter out.

So before you try to "filter" the noise and garbage out, go get yourself a good inverter, preferably a pure sine wave and save your stuff.

uncleal13 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.