Applied! (I'm surprised)

Discussion in 'Maverick' started by grusco, Apr 27, 2012.

1. grusco

grusco Light Load Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Rosemount, MN
    Every time I come to this forum I start reading about this company. I started a weekend CDL school here in MN and will finish in about 3 weeks. Several weeks ago I called Maverick recruiting and they told me to call just a few weeks before finishing the school. Meanwhile I talked myself out of flatbed thinking a 63 year old had no business going there. I continued to research companies and ended up applying to and getting accepted by Roehl. Even set a start date of June 11th. (I have several pre-hires from others but didn't pursue).

Then today I was back on this forum reading about Maverick Reefer, Glass, etc. I thought "what the heck! This appears to be a great company and they have reefer so I wouldn't have to do flatbed.". So I phoned recuiter Adam and we talked. I ended up filling out an application and am very interested in Glass. Money is much better than the other offer I have. Let's assume no company will get you the mileage they promise so it boils down to cpm. Maverick wins!

Here I was all set to go to Roehl and now all of a sudden this company has again risen to the top! Their training appears to be more thorough than Roehl which I like. I don't really want to spend 10 or 12 days with a trainer and call it good.

Here I am, 63 years old (healthy) and seriously considering driving glass flats! :biggrin_2556: Holy Cow! Bring it on!

epimax Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. plentygood

plentygood Road Train Member

Apr 24, 2011
    USA / CANADA
    You made a good choice, Maverick is a good company to work for :thumbup:

grusco Thanks this.
  4. sewerman

sewerman Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2008
    westville indiana
    I don't like using the term old I like to call it well seasoned.
    They young kids of today the only thing they have in shaped are there fingers from playing video games.

Hightower, epimax and grusco Thank this.
  5. grusco

grusco Light Load Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Rosemount, MN
    As I indicated earlier on this thread I submitted Maverick's on line Application. Then the next day sent in medical forms from my doc which another company had required. These forms included all prescribed medications and explained I was physically qualified for the job of Over the Road Truck Driver, including physical demands of flat bed work. 2 days after submitting the application I sent my recruiter a list of 3 professional references. They did not ask for them but being self employed I thought the company might want to check with people I've done business with recently. 3 days after submitting my application I sent in a letter from my current employer (I'm a part time school bus driver) which reported the results of a recent random drug test (results were of course negative). The letter also thanked me for preserving the integrity of the school's transit department.

I heard back from the medical team that they had forwarded my information to the clinic for their review. The recruiter then sent me an email saying "everything looks real good" and that he was waiting to hear back from the medical people.

My past professional experience taught me that employers may get a lot of applications. What would separate mine from the other students seeking their first job? I wanted to stay in front of this company as much as possible. I sent them information they had not even ask for because I want them to have a more thorough understanding of who I am and that I really want to join Maverick.

Now we'll see if I make the first cut.

6. grusco

grusco Light Load Member

Feb 25, 2012
    Rosemount, MN
    Alas, Maverick is not to be for me. It took about 2 days for the company to reject the application. True to form for trucking companies a rejected applicant gets very little explanation. Maverick simply said mine was rejected due to "more qualified candidates hired".

While I am disappointed I still have a great opportunity with another company. I would have preferred to get more honest feedback concerning the reasons for rejection.

7. Kansas

Kansas Road Train Member

Apr 14, 2009
    aircap, Ks.
    You say that now, but just wait :biggrin_2559:

pattyj Thanks this.
  8. pokerperv

pokerperv Light Load Member

Apr 23, 2012
    romeo,mi
    Sorry to hear, keep pounding the (internet).

grusco Thanks this.
  9. Danfromwindsor

Danfromwindsor Road Train Member

Mar 26, 2010
    Missouri
    Im guessing it was for medical reasons. Without knowing your situation specifically. They are getting picky about health issues.

10. JimTheHut

JimTheHut Road Train Member

Sep 26, 2009
    Central Ohio-Go Bucks!

Everything happens for a reason! You will do great wherever you end up!
    Best of Luck to you!

grusco Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.