Appointment time

Discussion in 'Tanker, Bulk and Dump Trucking Forum' started by zigstar, Aug 9, 2019.

1. zigstar

zigstar Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2015
    I’m interested in food grade tanker job. Do delivery times are during regular business hours, or could be any time day or night? Thank you for any information.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    Most are normal hours so your start depends on the distance and the scheduled delivery time.

Special events can be 24/7.

Used to deliver corn syrup to Hunts Wesson back when they used Jersey tomatos for ketchup.For about a month they got 3 - 4 loads a day round the clock then it stopped.

Delivering Nitrogen to NY Turkey in Brooklyn...December thru August they got one load a week.

September to early November it was 3 loads a day....

zigstar Thanks this.
  4. ChicagoJohn

ChicagoJohn Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2016
    Chicago
    I do a little food grade and most are 7 or 8 am appt. I do have one load that's a 4 am load drive 100 miles to deliver at 8. That can suck

D.Tibbitt and zigstar Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You are going to be on exacting delivery or pickup appointments. People will be looking for you. Where you at why you aint there yet etc.

Trucking as lasses-faire is gone generations ago.

meechyaboy and zigstar Thank this.
  6. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    It depends on what you're hauling, for whom, and who's receiving it.

Cargill load appointment times are generally inflexible, so you need to let dispatch know if you're gonna be late.

I was on time for a Cargill oil load once, and waited 17 hours to get loaded. I made almost the same money on detention that I did on linehaul. However, the delivery appointment was still doable, so I had to bulldog it through overnight.

Some of the customers will unload you early. Some won't even let you on the plant until 15 minutes before your drop. You learn by asking.

You also find out who will let you park on site, and receivers can be good sources of intel on nearby "hidey holes" and good local food.

Have fun. Good luck!

meechyaboy and zigstar Thank this.
  7. zigstar

zigstar Light Load Member

Nov 6, 2015
    I was going with Indian River Transport, since I’m from Orlando area.

8. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    I hear they do a lot of dairy.....lots of waiting.

Find out how they pay detention.

I think there's an IRT thread on the trucking company forums. Maybe a current employee there can help get ya dialed in. Good luck!

zigstar Thanks this.
  9. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    I've been with IRT four years now. Detention pay is unheard of. Other than that IRT is a good company to work for.

zigstar Thanks this.
  10. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
    Pickup and delivery times can be at odd hours. Usually from 4 am to midnight.

zigstar Thanks this.
  11. Texnmidwest

Texnmidwest Light Load Member

Mar 6, 2015
    I haul mainly yeast. Waste yeast out of the breweries are fairly flexible. Baker's yeast tends to be set appointment times. Mostly deliveries are during the day. However, we do have one account where we load at 2am.

zigstar Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.