Apportioned plates on a dually

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Bdog, Nov 25, 2015.

1. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    I am guessing most you hotshot guys have apportioned plates. How do you handle that if you use the truck as a daily driver when not hauling?

My dually is my primary vehicle. From what I read to satisfy the IRP filings you basically have to have record of every mile you drive. Seems like it would be a nightmare for a week off and driving around town.

farmboy73 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. FarmerTransportation

FarmerTransportation Light Load Member

Dec 26, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    If your Gross Combined Weight Rating as published by the manufacturer exceeds 26000 lbs, you will need apportioned plates. If it's less, you can go with a combined registration.

Having kept mileage logs for years when I was in on-the-road sales, all I can say is "you get used to it."

4. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    That is not correct. I had a sit down with the local DOT guy going over this a couple of weeks ago and for determining if you need a CDL they use your GVWR or actual weight whichever is higher but for IFTA and IRP they do not use weight ratings. They look at registered weight or or actual weight whichever is higher. Ratings don't factor into it.

5. FarmerTransportation

Dec 26, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    LOL! Right on with the CDL. My GVWR of truck and trailer is 29000, and I'm required to have the CDL. You can find my discussion about that nightmare elsewhere on the board.

In my case, I had my discussions directly with the IFTA people. Their office is only a couple miles from the house. I originally registered, and then they told me that since my GCWR is less than 26001, I don't need the IFTA. They won't use the higher 29000 because I'm registered at 26000 combined. This is so typical that every DOT rep, DOT cop and FMCSA rep has a different take on things. No wonder we're confused.

6. FarmerTransportation

Dec 26, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    In looking back at your and my posts, I think we're saying the same thing. They're using my Combined Registration to determine whether I need the IFTA, not the published GCWR. A fine point, but well noted - anyone in similar circumstance should be sure their registration is correct.

7. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    No we are not saying the same thing.

I am saying the manufacturers published rating has zero effect on needing apportioned plates.

From their webpage:

The Plan defines an apportionable vehicle as: any vehicle that is used or intended for use in two or more member jurisdictions and that is used for the transportation of persons for hire or designed, used, or maintained primarily for the transportation of property, and:

(i) has two axles and a gross vehicle weight or registered gross vehicle weight in excess of 26,000 pounds (11,793.401 kilograms), or

(ii) has three or more axles, regardless of weight, or

(iii) is used in combination, when the gross vehicle weight of such combination exceeds 26,000 pounds (11,793.401 kilograms).

Note that is says has a gross weight or registered gross weight over 26,000 lb. No where does it mention ratings.

8. Not_Here_Long

Not_Here_Long Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Don't use your odometer reading use a mileage program to report and report whatever miles you want then.
    I have three trucks all 350 Fords I told them to prove which one I was using since only one has an IRP plate.
    I tried the reporting accurately when I started after they tried to charge me 150 dollars ( we still fighting over it)
    for the assistant directors mistake I tell them whatever I feel like.
    After nine years I'm sick of the whole fmsca,ifta, irp ucr and the rest of the crap they heap on us for the little money brokers pay. I decided last year that I'd do as I please and screw them.
    The one thing most people don't realize is they only know what you tell them.

truckon and clausland Thank this.
  9. Hulld

Hulld Road Train Member

Oct 19, 2015
    Upstate NY
    They only know what you tell them till you get an ifta or irp audit...........

flatbedcarrier and tnpete Thank this.
  10. Not_Here_Long

Not_Here_Long Medium Load Member

Sep 7, 2015
    Then they still only know what you tell them.
    When they do the audit thing they ask you for documents you give them what you want them to have.
    If they audit you they already have in mind a reason and they want your money even if you don't owe any.
    If you don't ever put your odometer reading on something they can't prove anything.
    I done been down this road with then down here. The assistant director of carrier services approved and issued my cab card after approving the way I filed that was in 2011. well fast forward to 2014 they want to audit me
    and guess why ? The exact thing the asst dir. told me was ok. The auditor went back and found he issued my card they immediately dropped 2 years of irp audits and then said I owed them 150 dollars this has been going on for near two years now and I still haven't paid. I think I'm going to file suit against the asst dir personally in circuit court. On the ifta they said I owed three dollars well since they can't collect three dollars they up it to 12 dollars
    I still haven't paid that yet either. Really pizzed them off they had to renew my irp and I won't pay them since it's still appealed. Since I have 3-350 fords I told them to figure which one I'm driving on any given day.

11. FarmerTransportation

Dec 26, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    LOL to Not_Here_Long. This is why we need a major change in govt. They're all up in our business.

Don't get hung up on the word "rating." If my terminology is incorrect, I apologise. The point is that the manufacturer publishes the gross vehicle weight, and that's the weight they use to determine whether you are over 26000. As I said, we're saying the same thing - I'm just probably not saying it correctly.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.