Apportioned plates on a dually

Discussion in 'Expediter and Hot Shot Trucking Forum' started by Bdog, Nov 25, 2015.

1. moev

moev Bobtail Member

Jul 15, 2019
    Texas
    Hey guys I bought a new 2018 ram 3500 chassis in Texas and I plan on crossing some state lines, the dealer Says they only issue standard plates, do I have to pay again if I want apportioned plates?
    I already paid tax title and license!

2. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    You got screwed. You don't have to pay taxes on apportioned plates. The dealer is an idiot. You are most likely out the taxes and registration fees and you will have to pay again for the apportioned plates.

3. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan

Didn't you just post this in a another part of the forum?

4. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    If you bought it new you probably will just have to put regular passenger plates on it and then upgrade them later with the licensing department. I don't know that RAM pickup dealers are used to dealing with that stuff like say a Peterbilt dealer would.

The sales tax you might have recourse on. Every state is different though so you have to do your own homework. I know in NJ when I lived there any truck with a GVWR above 26k was exempt from it, and sometimes smaller trucks under more specific circumstances.

moev Thanks this.
  5. moev

moev Bobtail Member

Jul 15, 2019
    Texas
    yes

6. moev

moev Bobtail Member

Jul 15, 2019
    Texas
    well I haven't Got nothing yet, I caught it before the dealer registered it so we are all working together on it, see I told them I came to you to buy a commercial vehicle, so I expected you guys to handle all this, but after a couple of days I realized that know one ask what kind of plates I needed, so when I called them I ask that they get me apportioned plates well guess what (DEER in The Head lights lol), so they are are looking into it for me and I'm grateful for that, so I haven't lost anything yet. let me share this info that I do have from my Harris county office in Texas, They told me what might have to be done is, 1.the dealer cuts me a check and gives me a receipt of title and 2. I go register my self , and the dealer is confirming that of course before the release any money, so its not a sure answer but we are moving in that direction 10-4

7. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    The dealer can't get the apportioned plates for you. You have to go to the regional dmv office to do it. They just need to transfer the title to you with no taxes or registration fees and then you go to the dmv and get your apportioned plates

8. Bdog

Bdog Road Train Member

Nov 6, 2014
    I have never done them on a pickup but I bought a mack a couple of months ago and they gave me the title and I went to the regular dmv office where you go for cars and transferred the title and then I took that receipt to the regional office and got the apportioned plates.

moev Thanks this.
  9. Brandonpdx

Brandonpdx Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2007
    Elkhart, IN
    Your NTU or "bobtail" policy should cover use of the truck while not under dispatch.

10. moev

moev Bobtail Member

Jul 15, 2019
    Texas
    Yea sir sounds correct according to what TXDMV told me yesterday thanks man

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.