APU Muffler needs replaced

Discussion in 'Freightliner Forum' started by Horselovers, May 19, 2012.

1. Horselovers

Horselovers Bobtail Member

Feb 24, 2012
    Fort Worth, TX
    Hi All:

I need a new APU muffler for my 2005 Classic XL. Dealer doesn't carry the part and I'm stumped as to where to buy one. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. leftlanetruckin

leftlanetruckin Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    May want to put what make of APU is it, seeing as that is what needs as muffler, not the truck. Can't see why a Freightliner dealer doesn't carry a muffler for every make of APU out there myself. Weird...:biggrin_25525:
    With half of the APU companies going out of business though, you may want to go to a car muffler shop and have them make something for you. And if it's a Rigmaster, maybe ask about 2 or 3 mufflers on it:biggrin_25523:

Martin

4. The Admiral

The Admiral Heavy Load Member

Jul 18, 2010
    Akron,Ohio
    Seems to me someone on here mentioned that a lot of the ATV mufflers interchange and are cheaper. I second the Rig Master comment.

Last edited: May 19, 2012
  5. Pablo-UA

Pablo-UA Road Train Member

Oct 11, 2010
    Borispol, Ukraine
    we used to install mufflers from new european refer motors. New european noise regulation forced Carrier make silent mufflers and they can easily be used with APU. On some APUs refer mufflers cant be used and the good source of cheap mufflers are Chenese and Japanese small bike parts. Asian bykes are really not noisy now and mufflers from small scooters.

6. Alan Brechbiel

Alan Brechbiel Bobtail Member

Jul 22, 2015
    Like the comment before, I have seen mufflers from motorcycles used on APU's. One driver with a Rigmaster pulls out a old Harley Davidson Sportster muffler and shoves it over the pipe when he parks. Doesn't seal tight but sure does quiet that thing down.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.