apu or generator

Discussion in 'Trucks [ Eighteen Wheelers ]' started by ljmenez1, Mar 22, 2015.

1. ljmenez1

ljmenez1 Light Load Member

Dec 30, 2014
    los angeles ca
    I need some advice. Ive seen lots of trucks with a house a/c unit installed. I need to install either an apu or a generator. Can anyone tell me which will work better.

Thanks

Chinatown Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Fajo

Fajo The Dark Knight

Jan 26, 2013
    Boise, ID
    Gen with a A/C window unit = Redneck poor mans version of a APU.

ljmenez1 and Johny41 Thank this.
  4. Chinatown

Chinatown Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    Henderson, NV & Orient
    Some drivers get the ones from RV dealerships very cheap.

Check for used APU's on apucenter.com

ljmenez1 Thanks this.
  5. the.possum

the.possum Bobtail Member

Apr 7, 2015
    AC unit and generator will be cheaper, but with that you will have no warranty, no support network and a host of other possible issues. If you don't care about those things then no worries, could be the right setup for you though. I have also seen guys take the generator part of the APU because it connects up to the truck better and connect that to a rooftop unit. Its a little home brew, but seems to work.

An APU is more expensive but you could find a used one or just shop around and find a good price. Dynasys, TK and Carrier are the big three. Dynasys is the cheaper of the three and they now use a CAT engine. At MATS they had a generator setup and non generator setup. TK is the most expensive for sure with Carrier in second.

If you get an APU i would stick with one of them. Im sure they all do and use similar things, shoot maybe even some of the same parts.

6. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    I agree with the redneck statement,.. but I'll be comfortable while saving money.

As for the no warranty or service network,.. I guess that all depends on what you buy.

I just bought the Honda EU3000IS generator for $1900. I have full warranty and just about any RV or Sporting out door center that deals with them as well as Honda dealers themselves all offer full service and warranty work.

I do not have the generator or AC unit in the truck yet. Will be doing all of that when I get home.

The EU300IS has a full syn inverter built into it. Safe for electronics like PC and TV's. Mine has a key fob with remote start. Has a 30 amp 12v charger, so I have the option to charge my truck batteries if the need arises. Runs for between 10 - 20 hrs on a single tank depending on the load. In my case I'll be using an 8500 BTU window unit in my drivers door. It will use about 1 gallon for 10 hrs,.. with a 3.4 gallon tank,.. I'll only have to fill it twice a week.

I'll post some pictures up as soon as I get it wired up and my mounting enclosures fabbed up on my headache rack. I'm looking at $2700 for everything,.. that includes a radiator heater for winter time use. Best of all,.. everything is brand new,.. not used.

I use roughly $275 - $300 a week in fuel for idling. So theoretically,.. I should recoup my money in 7 - 8 weeks.

Hurst

7. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    It all depends on how much one needs an APU. I stay primarily in the upper Midwest, year round, so my air conditioning needs are not a critical. I have a portable generator, mounted in a custom box on the frame rail, that can run right in the box, out of the weather, and secure. A gallon of gas for 10 hours running time. Keeps the batteries charged up via a Xantrex inverter/charger unit, keeps the engine oil toasty warm on the coldest of winter days with the truck engine off, and a Webasto coolant heater on a timer will have the motor warmed up to 120F in about an hour even at -30F, and will do most any window style AC unit if one wanted to use one. Mine is a Yamaha EF2000 generator. Great little unit. If I was in need of serious AC, I would get a roof mounted RV style unit and go with that. Perfect for those that have mid roof style sleepers. Requires more like a 3000 watt generator than my 2000 if I did that. Compare the pricing... A roof AC unit, with a portable generator is going to be less than 1/4 of the cost of a full blown APU, weighs considerably less, and less expensive to maintain. Even if you had to replace components, it is doubtful that one would ever lose in the end doing it this way. And done right, doesn't look tacky like some "red neck", backyard setup held together with duct tape and baling wire. here is my generator box and generator.....

IMG_4230.jpg IMG_4229.jpg IMG_4228.jpg

Attached Files:

icsheeple and Hurst Thank this.
  8. Cowpie1

Cowpie1 Road Train Member

Nov 25, 2008
    Kellogg, IA
    Not sure how the other crap ended up in that post. Just ignore.

9. bigguns

bigguns Road Train Member

Jun 13, 2013
    Omega,GA
    Cowpie 1 I was wondering what the pix had to do with the post. Nice looking set up too.

ljmenez1 Research some of the threads on using generators. In particular those discussing whether or not a gravity fuel fed engine is legal to use on a truck. Some claim a fuel pump is required to feed he engine. My comments are based on my personal experience. Apu plus an a/c unit is way cheaper and lighter than an apu. Less upkeep than an apu based on all the complaints I read on here. Not entirely convenient but I can carry a can of gas to get the reduced cost and weight. They look tacky but buy and use a rootop a/c unit. You will not want to keep moving a unit into place in the window and then back to the floor or wherever when it is not needed. I tried 3 different home window units. They aren't made for bouncing down the highway if "permanently" mounted somewhere. I call bs to anyone who says their's has lasted for years. BEEN THERE - DONE THAT. For me a 8500 BTU window unit did the job. I am upgrading to a Dometic 2 piece unit. It is bought but not yet installed. You will love not running the big dog for heat and air.

10. Hurst

Hurst Registered Member

Aug 24, 2011
    Tampa, Fl
    Thank you for the pics.

I was going to do something similar but mount it up on the top of my headache rack.

Looking at your set up there,.. I think I am going to mount mine like yours, except add a space to store a 5 gallon fuel can as well. I have a shop near my home that does excellent metal work. They did a battery box cover for me for $275 and it looks better than a factory box and 1/2 the price.

Hurst

11. Ezrider_48501

Ezrider_48501 Road Train Member

Apr 2, 2011
    bismarck, nd
    i wish i had enough frame room left i would have a generator setup on my truck

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.