APU question

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Sisqscott, Jul 16, 2019.

1. 25(2)+2

25(2)+2 Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    I haven't seen very many Rigmasters, lately, but those generated 120 volts and didn't use an inverter, at least did before.
    In total, some of them sound like a poorly muffled lawn mower, and many start and stop. I have moved to get away from some that are really annoying, last night I just waited it out, he left after midnight sometime.

lovesthedrive Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia

I learned something today. I did not know any APU was on the market that would do this. I am guessing these units cost more than the regular APU's I know do. Sounds like a great way to make life on the road a bit better for a driver. The only drawback I can see to this system is once the main engine is running the APU is off so an inverter would still be needed to operate anything using 120 volts.

4. mhyn

mhyn Road Train Member

Dec 29, 2008
    Northridge, CA
    it's not new. Carrier APU has an optional model that only provides 120v 6kwt power.

25(2)+2 and lovesthedrive Thank this.
  5. 25(2)+2

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    I recall reliability as being a major issue, TK went the other way and once sold and serviced Rigmasters until they had their own, and then orphaned Rigmasters owners who had bought from them.

I'm not in awe of the concept, but I don't stay out all the time, either.

Have had fair luck idling DD engines as needed, and not a heavy user of plug in electrical devices in the truck.

6. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    I can think of several problems right off. The regular APU's have an AC compressor and an alternator pully along with the engine output shaft pully. 3 pulleys on the belt. I don't see an APU putting out 120 VAC and not having a regular alternator, so there are 4 pullies and a longer belt. Then a voltage regulator for both systems. This means more parts to breakdown. I also don't see a carrier adding the extra cost to their fleets. Like I said though, I never knew these APU's existed, I learned something today!

7. 25(2)+2

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    They all have had issues, enough so that some fleets have either not vendors tried them, or tried and given up on them, other fleets are bringing them on.

We aren't getting them on the lease trucks, but I see others may be.

The EPU is common in fleets that run north more.

8. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    I am some what surprised that APU's arent using a hobby type turbine. Seems like a whine would be more prefferred to a dududududududududududududud noise

25(2)+2 Thanks this.
  9. 25(2)+2

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    Would make sense, especially since idle use is negligible, and should be less troublesome, aircraft have always used turbines for APU, iirc. Gas turbines for main power have drawbacks, includinggreater fuel use at idle.

10. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    The main problem with using a turbine is fuel. Most internal combustion engines don't run well on what is in essence kerosene. So to use a turbine engine means a separate tank for the fuel and the truck stops are going to have to keep up with providing the fuel. Then on top of all this since the fuel has no road taxes the stuff will be red. I wonder how long red fuel will take to gum up the insides of a turbine engine.

11. 25(2)+2

Sep 18, 2006
    the road less travelled
    I used red fuel in heaters, sound just like a jet, only smaller and even have the same odor for the exhaust, the dye doesn't seem to bother anything.

Gas turbines are external combustion, iirc. Not that it matters,I doubt anyone would try to market a gt APU for trucks. Plenty of small diesels to power them.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.