Apu service intervals

Discussion in 'Heavy Duty Diesel Truck Mechanics Forum' started by D.Tibbitt, Mar 28, 2020.

1. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    How long do u guys go before changing oil in ur apu ? What about belts , hoses, and other maintenance items?

I just put a new fuel pump on mine today and while i was inside there, i noticed that engine has never had a wrench turned on it since it left the factory , other than oil change. All hoses are rotting, belts are bad, very bad. Still has the crappy factory hose clamps that clamp so tight u cant get them frickin things off. Well ive got all the parts to replace that stuff. Just wondering how often u guys keep up on it ?

Also do these things have a dpf on it ?

truckdriver31 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. shatteredsquare

shatteredsquare Road Train Member

May 23, 2014
    middle dirt
    Tripac Evo is 2k hours factory recommended interval, before it was 1k hours. I've got ~7k hours on the original belts, I just get 2k hour services that amounts to fluid and filter changes. I've gone through i think 4 alternators, 3 being warranty swaps one right after the other in the span of 6 months. Current alternator hasn't thrown a single ALT shutdown since april 2019, after i put the plastic cover on the external fan to stop sandblasting everything inside the enclosure with road glitter

D.Tibbitt and truckdriver31 Thank this.
  4. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    If it’s a tripac Servicing the apu is pretty simple. I don’t know about the evo models, but the older one has two fuel filters. The one is right in the front and the other is inline in the left rear. The water pump uses a split pulley with shims. There is no tensioner. The one I have has 2-3 shims,I used a really thin dab of rtv to keep them together.
    You have a air filter on the blower box under the bunk. It’s washable,if you order the service kit it comes with a new one.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  5. JonJon78

JonJon78 Road Train Member

Jul 1, 2018
    What kind of APU do you have?

I've got a Dynasys, they recommend changing oil/filters at 1k hours. I cut it in half and change at 500hours. It only costs 60 bucks for the oil and filters. Takes 30 minutes to do myself.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2020
    D.Tibbitt and bzinger Thank this.
  6. D.Tibbitt

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Yep i have tripac evolution . Its got a little more than 10k hours on it, i havent put much hours on it maybe a couple hundred in 4 months or so. They seem pretty easy to work on once i got into it . Just doesnt have a manual with it so i had no idea how long to go before changing filters and oil

bzinger and JonJon78 Thank this.
  7. D.Tibbitt

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Do u guys have dpf on ur unit ?

8. 062

062 Road Train Member

Oct 20, 2013
    Not on the one I have,it’s a 2009.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  9. JonJon78

Jul 1, 2018
    No

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  10. D.Tibbitt

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Ok mine is a 2015 model . Was looking online at thormking it says some models have dpf , not sure if mine does or not . Id assume it would be pretty easy to find , but didnt see anything that looked like a dpf. Wasnt sure if that was standard equipment or not , thank u guys 4 the help, mine is running real good now with new fuel pump

bzinger, 062 and JonJon78 Thank this.
  11. JonJon78

Jul 1, 2018
    Does that Tripac work good keeping you cool in the southwest heat?

. My APU has 4300 hours on it. So far I've replaced the alternator belt twice which are like $7 at Autozone.

Tensionless belt once. $48

Starter $250
    Alternator $175

My ECM broke where the wire plugs into it, I think I accidentally hit it when I threw my winch bar into my side box under the bunk. That was a $450 boosie.

D.Tibbitt Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.