APU

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Rado101, May 26, 2013.

1. terryt

terryt Heavy Load Member

Apr 27, 2009
    On my third year with TK unit never been to shop other then service every 1000 hours. It will cool in any heat and the espar heator will run you out of the sleeper in the coldest day. The dealer network is second to know one the biggest reason I went with TK is they have been in the apu market the longest with a proven product. You will save more then what they I'm saving about 900 gallon of fuel a year was shocked by the saving should have did bought this apu 10 years ago. I'm saving 30 to 40 gallons a week.

Rado101 and bluerider Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. j&jbuck

j&jbuck Light Load Member

Sep 26, 2011
    ward, sc
    I love my tripak when its running. its 4 years old and has an appetite for alternators. right now I have no idea whats wrong with it and havnt had a chance to take it to a shop. it just shut off one day and wont do anything now. only has 150 on this service and it only ran for 2 weeks from the time I had the alternator replaced.
    given, it is 4 years old and I have no idea how it was takin care of befor I got it. lucky im not paying for it, just for the repairs. blah.
    buying a new one, I would go tripak any day over those loud carriers.
    oh, and the bunk heater will get hot enough to cook a can of soup, just saying.

Rado101 Thanks this.
  4. Semi Crazy

Semi Crazy Road Train Member

May 13, 2011
    Middle Tennessee
    The Dynasis that pulled in next to me and ran all night at a steady speed sounded like a reefer unit. I wouldn't even consider that brand. The Tri-pacs are annoying too.

Why can't they install a quiet muffler instead of drag pipes?

Rado101 Thanks this.
  5. tomkatrose

tomkatrose Light Load Member

Oct 22, 2010
    Los Angeles, CA
    We had Dynasys APU's on our trucks. They worked really well and had occasional issues with fuses and the computer. Hodyon, the makers of the Dynasys have been making automotive HVAC systems for years so they are not new to the game. As they worked out the bugs with fuse sizes, etc., the issues became less. Their tech support was really good and the heat or A/C was strong enough to turn Volvo 780s into ovens in the winter or ice boxes in the summer.

They were $4,000 cheaper than TK TriPaks when I was shopping for them and they have no credit check financing. I'd recommend them. I have no experience with the TK or Carrier units BTW.

bluerider, rickybobby and Rado101 Thank this.
  6. pawpaw1

pawpaw1 Medium Load Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Dallas,Ga.
    K. I'm on a slow connection , here in Mo. The long reply I did , didn't make it . I went with a Dynasys . More on it , when I get a decent connection.

Rado101 Thanks this.
  7. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    I have had a dynasys since jan 2012 , real happy with it. I had boomer diesel put a pulley kit on it and lowered the rpm by 800, I also , at their cost had a new controller and ecm put in, solved all minor problems. they also have a new updated muffler that quietens them down also.

semi crazy if a tri-pac bothers you, get earplugs. the reason a tripak runs quieter its simply at low rpm as it only drives an alternator and no generator. you can also do your own service without voiding warranty.

Rado101 Thanks this.
  8. j&jbuck

j&jbuck Light Load Member

Sep 26, 2011
    ward, sc
    that hes right on. WHEN mine runs I cant hardly hear it, and the noise also makes a difference as to where it is. its always louder when your walking by or even on the next truck. but it always seems quitter to me when its mine. same with my reefer unit. I cant even hardly tell mine is there but when somebody parks a reefer next to me it drives me bananas.

Rado101 Thanks this.
  9. pawpaw1

pawpaw1 Medium Load Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Dallas,Ga.
    I heard about that pulley kit , to lower the RPMs . I asked a Dynasys tech about it, and I also asked my installer ( Big Rig Truck Acessories ) about it. They don't recommend it. I'd be interested in hearing how it works out for you, on down the road .
    The Dynasys is a bit louder than a Tri-Pak , but not excessively loud. Some of the other APUs are much louder , and so are most reefer units.

Rado101 Thanks this.
  10. jess-juju

jess-juju Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2008
    Shelbyville TN
    Guy parked next to us has a generator and a window AC truck was an old classic like ours, went over to ask him how cool the window ac kept the truck but he didn't speak any English :biggrin_2554:

Rado101 Thanks this.
  11. leftlanetruckin

leftlanetruckin Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    My Honda EU3000is is THE quietest generator out there. Believe me I looked.
    That and a rooftop ac/heat unit runs @$3k all done, including brackets etc.
    I can throw everything away every year and still be ahead financially, but it hasn't missed a beat in a year.

Martin

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.