APU

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Rado101, May 26, 2013.

1. MNdriver

MNdriver Road Train Member

Feb 24, 2012
    $14,000 huh....

Where was that at?

Rado101 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. MJ1657

MJ1657 Road Train Member

Jan 28, 2012
    Isanti, MN
    There are alot of pointless arguements on this site but this one ranks right up there.

Why does anyone care what someone else hangs on the side of their truck for personal comfort?

Rado101 Thanks this.
  4. Up74427ca

Up74427ca Light Load Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Little Saigon,ca
    Fontana ca ,want $14,000 plus installation,because is had dips filter to qualify in ca,but Honda is qualify 48 states

Rado101 Thanks this.
  5. Up74427ca

Up74427ca Light Load Member

Sep 1, 2012
    Little Saigon,ca
    Tk dealer,is new tk

Rado101 Thanks this.
  6. pawpaw1

pawpaw1 Medium Load Member

Sep 9, 2011
    Dallas,Ga.
    Well, way I understand the pulley thing, and ,mind you , I'm not the expert , running it slower puts too much load on the engine. Yammer wouldn't put anything above a 60 amp alternator on these engines , unless Dynasys went to a three cylinder engine. Too much load . A 2 cylinder Diesel engine outputs about 14 HP. And , at a lower speed , lots less torque. That's why they don't want you to change the pulleys. I'm already saving a ton of $$$$ on fuel , and wear and tear , why would I want to quibble about cents , and maybe ruin a good thing ?
    Still, if it works , and LASTS , I'd be interested.

Rado101 Thanks this.
  7. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    paw paw, it doesn't affect the load on the engine, the pulleys being a different size make that possible, its the same principal as using different rear end gears. the guy at boomer diesel does nothing but install generator units on vehicles. its not a sideline with him. think of the pulleys likes changing the rear end ratio on a truck , you change the rears run the same speed at a lesser rpm. its like we did when racing go karts , we put the biggest sprocket we could on the engine clutch and the smallest we could on the rear. for example on a briggs racing engine the higher the rpm the less torque,

Rado101 Thanks this.
  8. pawpaw1

Sep 9, 2011
    Dallas,Ga.
    A man I know , and trusted , once told me you can pull a freight train , with a washing machine motor, if you have enough gears . How long will that motor last , doing that?
    Another man I knew , and trusted , told me that to make an engine last , never put more of a load on it , than it can handle. Downshift, in other words.
    Let me know how it works out for you.

Rado101 Thanks this.
  9. pawpaw1

Sep 9, 2011
    Dallas,Ga.
    Another man I knew , going to John Deeres technical school , for mechanics and technications , told me his instructor told the class , the difference between a Brand New Engine , and a Worn Out Engine , was LESS than ONE ounce of metal.

Rado101 Thanks this.
  10. oilfieldtrash

oilfieldtrash Light Load Member

Oct 17, 2009
    Jones,Oklahoma
    The pulley that Boomer sells DOES slow down the alternator as it not on the same pulley as the gen head. Mine is a lot quieter.And I like the engine not running wfo at startup cold.

Rado101 Thanks this.
  11. j&jbuck

j&jbuck Light Load Member

Sep 26, 2011
    ward, sc
    I just got my tri pak fixed last night. its cooling the truck down better than the truck ac when idling. and I can hear the carrier apu on my left over the sound of my tripak and the truck running next to me. I like it when it runs. cost me $25 to get it fixed. a 250A fuse and labor.

Rado101 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.