APU

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Rado101, May 26, 2013.

1. leftlanetruckin

leftlanetruckin Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    I guess I missed it, as I certainly do not remember getting worked up about anything you posted mate.
    You are of course 100% correct though, as I say myself, ANY anti idling effort is better than non. The money saved is simply amazing.
    Folks cant believe I will be doing the same thing to a brand new Western Star in a week or so if the deal goes through......but the money it saves is just too hard to pass up. Not to mention the ability to stay cool/warm if the engine isn't happy etc.

Martin

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. xiipercent

xiipercent Medium Load Member

Mar 19, 2007
    dohhh... niice offer! man i'm bummed I missed out. I've been meaning to get a set of gauges. it's a few spots down on the list of 'must gets'. Not real sure as of yet what's the issue. I'm saving the dollars , making sure everything else is functional before I work on the ac. So many old time truckin vets talk about the old days without a.c, that I thought I should give it a go and suckit up for the summer.---I think I may last another couple a weeks. truck was parked for a calendar year...so my first guess is low pressure in system...but that's what your gauges would have been sweet for ! to tell me exactly.
    If you run south over the next few weeks i'll be in your debt...would love to hook'em up and learn from someone with skills.

4. Dr_Fandango44

Dr_Fandango44 Road Train Member

Aug 27, 2012
    Austin, TX
    I must be one of the few that bought a Centramatic APU . I just like the design, the components are well built, put together and does its job. I can do my cooking outside on top of the box it's housed in, outside power output plus shore power when needed. I managed to get a Govt grant to partly finance it so the Govt isn't all bad.
    i certainly looked at the Tripac but the shop in question didn't seem to be all that motivated to sell me one. It
    took a day and a half to install and seems very reliable. The thing I like about it is that it operates separate from the truck engine. Thus it's not plumbed into the trucks cooling system for instance.
    Im just glad I bought one and makes life that much more pleasant
    Good luck

5. IGOR-UA

IGOR-UA Bobtail Member

Jun 30, 2013
    YONKERS, NY
    Trucker Forum>Owner Operators>Ask An Owner Operator>Generator for the tractor

6. brysol01

brysol01 Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2009
    It has to do with the power band at the right rpm's to run the 6000 watt generator under a load, guess they
    figure it lugs the engine too much, when it needs to be powered up, how ever I am looking into the pully system myself, my problem has been with head gaskets, exhaust in the cooling system, if the head was cracked it would do it al the time , but it does not, think the head bolts loose their torque, after a while then it happens again, sounds like a trip to Napa for some locktite is in order, Have had it since May 2011

7. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    No its doesn't lug anything, the generator runs at same rpm, it just gives the ability to lower the engine rpm. The only reason the rpm is where its is to turn the generator at a given rpm, it

8. brysol01

brysol01 Medium Load Member

Nov 2, 2009
    a engine lugs a generator doesn't, and those are not my opinions, the rpm's are there because of the power ban on the engine, it doesn't have the same power at the lower rpm, and yes I know what the pulleys are for, some said they couldn't understand why they would not recommend it, I was sharing the reasons that I found after researching it, that being said I am going to try it any way

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.