APUs- Electric vs. diesel

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 10 speed, May 15, 2014.

1. GITRDUN45

GITRDUN45 Heavy Load Member

Sep 30, 2013
    see I would agree to this but all Volvo Dealers I been speaking with in past all said these engines are built to run and cold starts the worst for them. That's why when they order trucks for their lots they don't have room for apu's.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. leftlanetruckin

leftlanetruckin Road Train Member

Mar 12, 2009
    Mo Via Blackpool,Lancs.
    Be nice to not "need" a restart, but this is the real world. I pull oversize, and my time management skills are just fine. But at times, I just have to go to beat curfews etc.
    In the days of no restarts, it was a lot more important, but still a day off here and there got some hours back, which means more than the 10hrs that seems to be a magic number for some.
    I bobtailed to the RV islands here at the J where I have been since Friday afternoon, on my way back from Wall Mart. Took $20.26 to fill everything back up, and that is since I left home a week ago. AC cycling on and off, batteries charging, and so on. Works for me.
    Total invested is $3k for heat, better AC than anything under a bunk (physics are kinda hard to argue with), and the generator. Break even is 1000hrs. Saves $3 per HOUR in fuel alone. And as a bonus, works continuously for days on end, in heat or cold....Go figure

Martin

Last edited: May 18, 2014
    Cetane+, milskired and GITRDUN45 Thank this.
  4. 10 speed

10 speed Light Load Member

Aug 3, 2010
    Alabama
    I think i'll go with the diesel thermo king.... Thanks for all the differing views

Last edited: May 18, 2014
  5. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    Time management will not solve the 8.75 hours/week you forfeit by running recap.

6. KANSAS TRANSIT

KANSAS TRANSIT Road Train Member

Jul 28, 2011
    Glasco,Ks.

Hey Martin, are you running something like a Honda generator with a roof mount A/C? Just curious, and I agree I would rather run gas than diesel, no emission, no noise, BUT, that is from an O/O point of view, if these were on fleet truck drivers would have a fit about having to unhook and top off the "gastank/propane".

JMHO

7. skateboardman

skateboardman Road Train Member

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    I don't have a thermoking unit mine is a dynasys, it is a standalone unit. has a 6500 watt generator, alternator for charging the batts and a seperate heat/cool unit, same engine as the thermoking , 8500 installed with shorepower, over 3000 hours and doing well, installed jan 2012

8. skateboardman

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven

how do you forfeit 8.75 hours a week by running recap???

9. double yellow

double yellow Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2011
    State of Jefferson
    70 hours in 8 days in 61.25 hours/week (recap)
    70 hours in 7 days is 70 hours/week (once a week reset)

10. skateboardman

Jan 14, 2012
    flatbed heaven
    you are doing something wrong, I never approach 70 hours a week. its the mega carrier mentality you are speaking of, I run less and make more.

you are going off a basis of using every absolute hour you could possibly have available, the exact opposite of the run smarter, not harder approach.

you should try the most revenue for the least amount of miles approach and see how ya like it.

RedForeman Thanks this.
  11. jbee

jbee Medium Load Member

Jun 3, 2011
    NC
    If you're running a flat 8.75 hrs ea day, with an 8 day work week, you would never need a reset. Day 9 would have you back at 8.75 avail for that day and so on for the next 7 days.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.