Apu's in the new age

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Wespipes, Jul 25, 2021.

1. Wespipes

Wespipes Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2019
    Excuse the title. I didn't know what to call it.

So someone posted the pic in truckers hall of shame on FB. And honestly I think it's smart as crap. But then it got me thinking. Why not take it a step further even? The yeti 6k solar power generator. Looking into it. You can plug them to charge OR they have portable solar panels you lay out. So my thoughts are. Install one of these yetis and have it plugged into my inverter while I'm going down the road. On resets could use the portable panels to charge it or idle for a few hours. Now just have to figure out the havac unit so it's not some ugly window unit sitting out the back like the pic. This is all done at around HALF the cost of a new apu!!!!

Now take it EVEN FURTHER! Why don't these trucking manufacturers make an option to integrate these into a truck. Myself I have a pete 389. Could easily take one if the side doors that go under the bed and make a room out system for it. That way it's tucked away and can be pulled out if you need to repair or look at it. It could be hard wired to your batteries and alternator! Solar panels on the truck to even help charge it. Maybe I'm going too far now. Lol.

Well what do yall think? Link to that yeti thing I'm talking about below

Yeti 6000X Portable Power Station | Goal Zero FB_IMG_1627267549348.jpg

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. skallagrime

skallagrime Road Train Member

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    The biggest issue with the solar panels is their fragility and lack of resiliency for being on a truck, get a rock spit up and half a panel could be dead pretty quick. Efficency, theyre not terrible nowadays, but 6 years ago, couldnt collect enough power to just run ac on without a pretty big foldout.

For me, much of it is practicality and laziness, if it isnt set it and forget it, its not going to do me much good

Rideandrepair and slow.rider Thank this.
  4. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    Freightliner and International both have electric APUs. Freightliner put 8 batteries on truck and the electric a/c is in sleeper cabinet on the floor. So you don't even see it. It will run 6-8 hours. The engine will start automatically and recharge the batteries at 12.2 volts or 12.1

Rideandrepair and slow.rider Thank this.
  5. slow.rider

slow.rider Road Train Member

Apr 4, 2017
    NYC
    The panels he's talking about would be stored inside the truck until parked. But they also have flexible magnetic ones now that can be laid on the roof like a decal.

Czar_Zero and Rideandrepair Thank this.
  6. skallagrime

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    I know, but
    1. My fiberglass roof is not very magnetic
    2. Fold out panels simply wont get used cause i, much like 95%of humanity am lazier tgan hell

Rideandrepair, slow.rider and bzinger Thank this.
  7. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    I had an electric apu on my truck when I bought it , even with excellent maintenance it was junk and was glad when it shorted out one night and melted .

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    I wish people would get that these units like the yeti are not generators they are storage units with inverters.

I have a few of them, they suck if you plan on using them daily. The yeti has a long recharge time, if you use the 12 volt charging time up to 24 hours. These units can’t be used below 30 degrees and they have a limited lifespan, a lot less than a motorized apu.

9. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    Our T680 has a factory EPU. It's going through it's third summer, now, and will still have more than half it's charge after a 10.

Rideandrepair, slow.rider and Brandt Thank this.
  10. skallagrime

Apr 10, 2012
    Indiana
    Any chance you know what batteries its using and how many amps your alternator is pushing? Im game to change an alternator yearly over messing with the ac

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  11. Old Man

Old Man Road Train Member

Apr 3, 2009
    Oklahoma City, OK
    The best setup, if you have the frame rail space is a diesel generator that has no belt, direct connect to generator end, roof mount ac, power outlets in cab to run heat or anything you want. Cost less to maintain than any apu, no bs when you shut down, one button and done.
    Roof ac can be replaced for less than a circuit board in a apu.
    Build a quality system, not a southern engendered pos.
    The heck with the new age, get reliable.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.