APU's on trucks

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by Jimmy Hoffa, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Jimmy Hoffa

Jimmy Hoffa Medium Load Member

Dec 30, 2011
    Gold Country, California
    See them on Gordon and Werner trucks, wonder if May will ever get them. Must be nice to be able to use all your appliances (microwave, PS3, fridge, ect) and not get whacked for idle time.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NogoJoe

NogoJoe Light Load Member

Oct 31, 2011
    No. I have a microwave. Tv .fridge and i only idle when i use the micro and that is for less than 5 minutes for my meals

4. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina

no May does not and will not put APU's on their trucks. They say "it isnt cost effeiciant because we trade the trucks out too often". And may Charges You for idleing...

American Trucker

Jimmy Hoffa Thanks this.
  5. Efon

Efon Road Train Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Fort Collins, CO
    They have done studies about APUs and have come to the conclusion that they cost outweighs the benefit for them. Why get APUs when you can charge your drivers to use your fuel?

6. Jimmy Hoffa

Jimmy Hoffa Medium Load Member

Dec 30, 2011
    Gold Country, California
    I've been hit with idle charges, I got a PS3 and it pulls over 200 watts, (yes, an old dude like me has a PS3) so now I don't use it until I've got enough miles to have idle time built up, I use my microwave as little as possible too, got one of those lunch box stoves, it works pretty good. Been pricing generators, probably gonna get one that can fit under my bunk when I'm not useing it. But, I was hopeing some one had heard May was gonna get APU'S too.

7. American-Trucker

American-Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 8, 2009
    Charlotte, North Carolina

if you can afford it, pickup a Honda Generator, they're small, light, quite too, just get a cable and a padlock so it doesnt walk off while your sleeping.

American Trucker

Jimmy Hoffa Thanks this.
  8. Spokester

Spokester Light Load Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Port Angeles, WA
    And for us reefer drivers, when that thing is running, the magic cable solves all those problems. Will be sitting on this load for almost 2 days, reefer on constant. Otherwise, I'd take a hard look at that little Honda...

9. sky king

sky king Bobtail Member

Oct 30, 2010
    Just curious, you seem to jump in on what has become a dead horse. Use common sense. Idle when you need to. Call your DM and ask for idle time if the temps or humidity really warrant it. May has changed their idle percentages during the hottest months to 45%. Do you really need to idle more than that? Oh, and BTW tell us again how long you have worked at May ???

10. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Have you gotten permission from the company to do that? Last I knew, they don't allow that. You might want to check, in the event there's a short or overheating that starts a fire and you lose your job over it.

Spokester Thanks this.
  11. Efon

Efon Road Train Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Fort Collins, CO
    Be careful with that. Get caught and your fired.

Spokester Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.