APU's on trucks

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by Jimmy Hoffa, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    Just because you're miserable doesn't mean I have to be.

If you don't like counter balance, that's your problem, not mine.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jimmy Hoffa

Jimmy Hoffa Medium Load Member

Dec 30, 2011
    Gold Country, California
    Scooter, you goofy #@!@, I don't have the time or inclination to engage in a long pissing match with the company plant and head bootlicker. Miserable ??? Great Wife and Kids and 2 grandsons. Also gotta big house in the hills and a stroked out Shovelhead, I'll make this short and sweet, you ignore me, and I'll ignore your goofy !@#@. You let it go, and I let it go. See ? Simple, problem solved!!!

4. Voyager1968

Voyager1968 Road Train Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    It does and thanks. I just seemed to recall reading posts by disgruntled (the magic word I suppose) Swifties complaining about their idle policy.

5. porcupyne13

porcupyne13 Bobtail Member

Feb 19, 2012
    Los Angeles, CA
    with fuel prices being what they are, can anyone really blame the company for wanting to keep costs down?

also the whole issue of not being able to idle in exteremes of tempurature is a red herring (or chewbacca defense if u like). in order to save on fuel costs, they expect people to freeze to death or die from heat stroke? somehow, i doubt that. ironically, if they were a publicly traded company, their stocks would probably rise. :p

6. rubberducky68

rubberducky68 Road Train Member

Sep 9, 2010
    Jefferson GA

Serious question here. Have you experienced personally being charged for idle time yet? If so, what did it cost you out of your check?

7. 01cblue

01cblue Light Load Member

May 4, 2010
    It's a dry heat
    Yes. When I got my 587 Pete it had a poor connection somehwere under the cab in a wiring harness and would occasionally not start. I had to be pull started a few times and eventually had to leave the engine running for a couple of days before I could make it to a delivery and then to a shop. $81.00 for overidle fee was taken out of my paycheck.

I tried to get it back but was told that I didn't have enough miles to reimburse me.

It's OK, last year I got idle bonus for 2 or 3 months in a row and made it back.

8. Efon

Efon Road Train Member

Jan 6, 2009
    Fort Collins, CO
    IMO, that's not okay. You had to idle the truck due to an issue that could prevent you from starting it again. It should of all been credited. I would of pursued that further until I got my money back.

9. Dozzer6

Dozzer6 Light Load Member

Jun 30, 2011
    Vancouver, Washington
    Yep, what Efon said. Having enough miles is a completely different matter from the idle time.

Dozzer

10. platinum

platinum Road Train Member

Aug 18, 2010
    Fort Worth, Texas
    I got my money back not charged since. I am glad because I am here to help the company in anyway to become efficient as long as comfort is not affected.

11. Spokester

Spokester Light Load Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Port Angeles, WA
    I pretend like I'm camping. Use a headlamp for light; charge its batteries for it while driving. Use my laptop for multimedia stuff. Use plenty of bedding so I don't need the bunk heater all night; I just turn it on in the morning before I get up if it's real cold. I also have a nice big fridge with a freezer, and it can run all night and then some without depleting the batteries.

All this I think about with regards to my intent to buy my own truck. Fuel being the largest expense, anything to minimize it means more $$$ in my pocket. And I really like to take long vacations... I completely understand the need to minimize costs; and agree with the idea of doing my part for the company.

I remember back pre 9/11 when diesel was around $.85/gallon in Washington State... Oh for those days again...

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.