Are all Transcrafts bad?

Discussion in 'Flatbed Trucking Forum' started by Gumper, Mar 16, 2018.

1. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    From what I’ve read everyone who has ever owned a Transcraft trailer has had problems with cracking. Does that go for all of their flatbeds? Certain years that are bad? Are their steel/aluminum trailers less prone to cracking than all aluminum’s? The other way around? I ask because there’s a few for sale close to me, and I’ve been avoiding them like the plague due to what I’ve seen people say online.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. I have a transcraft in my yard. it's a 2000. it had one crack, which I caught and fixed. all trailers are prone to cracks.
    Transcraft does seem to crack sooner than later.

if you buy one look at the spot just in front of the front axle to frame location.

being proactive you can still make a buck with a transcraft.

then save up for the one ya want

HopeOverMope Thanks this.
  4. DL550CAT

DL550CAT Road Train Member

Oct 18, 2009
    Waynesburg, Pa
    Maybe with the combos. I’ve had 3 all steel Tanscrafts 2 steps 1 flat. the flat was an 05 the steps are 10 and 11 no cracks on any of them.

5. special-k

special-k Road Train Member

Dec 27, 2008
    Southern Ontario Canada
    Just depends what you're using them for. Guys that run 45k plus steel coils every day will have more cracking issues than guys that haul general freight. They sold a boatload of them before aluminum took over around here so I wouldn't say their all junk. Just try to get a heavy spec one thats done light work all its life. Easy right?;)

6. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    Really don’t see myself hauling coils.

7. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    Debating buying a so-so flatbed now and paying cash, and getting a nice one down the road, OR financing a nice flatbed right off the bat. I let two nice trailers for not much money slip away since my truck wasn’t ready.

8. Espressolane

Espressolane Road Train Member

Nov 21, 2009
    Just south of the north 40
    Have run both 48 and 53 transcraft trailers.

The 53 was fixed spread set for cali.
    This was a combo, steel frame, aluminum deck with nailers. Slide winch.

It seems the 53s are the most prone to problems.
    Cracking in the rear, around the suspension mounts is very common. Have seen a few that cracked where the taper on the front is, just behind the king pin frames. Keeping wheel alignment seems to also be high on the list. Rub rail and stake pockets are prone to breakage or bending with very little force.

My guess on the 53s and the problems are related to construction. If you look at the frame, the rear section seems to be an add on. Like they just welded on and extra 5 ft to a 48.

The 48s have been better. Still have rub rail and stake pocket problems. Same wiring problems.

9. Gumper

Gumper Road Train Member

Jan 7, 2018
    Butte, MT
    That doesn’t sound very appealing

10. Tug Toy

Tug Toy Road Train Member

Jul 4, 2015
    Corn field
    Transcraft units are more than adequate for general flatbed freight. Only reason not to buy one is weight and corrosion issues. There are millions and millions on the road every day.

My money says to buy new right out of the gate. I bought used and wish I bought new first. That being said I have refurbished this used unit for about $6k over the last 2 years to be in decent shape now. Can’t justify buying new now but if I had it to do over would of bought a NEW Mac right out the gate. Even though I only spent $13k on my new to me Truck.

11. tonymontana007

tonymontana007 Bobtail Member

Mar 17, 2018
    ??????????

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.