Are any other driver's Having problem's with Knight refridgerated

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by wolfmanswife, May 26, 2007.

1. aladdin sane

aladdin sane Medium Load Member

Dec 8, 2007
    Towanda, Kansas
    My brother was there for a time. He became seriously ill and needed to go home. Dispatcher told him tough ####, go get a bucket for beside the seat and another one to sit on. Take your pants off put on a bib and drive. The fact that you are sick is not my problem. They found him delerious and in a cornfield three days later. Knight fired him for an improper lane change.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. GSCS(SW) Retired

GSCS(SW) Retired Bobtail Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Seattle, Wa
    Jes i drove for Knight Refrigerated from Oct 2006 to Jan 2009 when I had to leave due to some severe back problems. That has kept me off the road since. If I somehow can get back on the road it will be with KR. I was out of their Idaho Falls, ID terminal and had a great dispatcher. It came with some growing pains though, just him and I trying to work together so it all comes out right.

They had enough freight to keep you running, there were only a few times I got laid up for more than a day. Once in Birmingham, AL for 2 days but that was due to their regional dispatching.

The good: Miles, open access to all staff, including terminal manager, good maintenance, alot of yards and terminals around the country, run where you want to run, no routing(you route yourself), chain policy(if you think it is too dangerous to run, you don't run).

The Bad: The way they dispatch (If you are in another region of the country you get your loads out of that regions dispatchers) That can be overrode by your dispatcher or Terminal Manager but it can be a pain.
    Memphis Tn office staff- The worst of the worst!!!!!!!
    If you want more on that contact me.

100% No touch freight
    Very little drop/hook my guess <10%
    Overall a really good company.

4. bigblue19

bigblue19 Road Train Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Midland WA
    You continued to run and rack up a bill of $900?

When you drive OTR the best time to handle things a company might owe you is when you are at the house and they want to get you back on the road, or have a hot load going to a service watch customer. But you don't just keep taking it in the shorts and then quit and then say they owe you money.

I'm told that at Knight most things other then miles and detention are payed by a P.O. number issued by the dispatcher. no PO, no pay. If your dispatcher is not doing their job and issuing PO's then you roll up on him/her at the terminal and find out why face to face with him/her and their boss.

No excuse for continuing to do things for free you should be paid for on each trip. If your pay is less then what it should be on a trip then you set the parking break on the truck outside the gate to the receiver and find out why and get it handled then.

May Trucking stiffed me on 2 bucks for a fax, but other then that, no OTR company owed me any money when I left their employ. And believe me, all 4 that I worked for tried.

5. roadbum

roadbum Bobtail Member

Dec 7, 2009
    hoschton,ga
    i guess the reason the drivers are kept out so long is because of drivers like me and a few of my friends.i was one of the first drivers with knight refridgerated to be based out of the olive branch terminal.we had about seven drivers there on the reefer side.we would stay out seven weeks to two months at a time because most of us were single and basically lived in our trucks.this was especially true during the running of sweet potaroes.from ms. and la. to pasco, washington.we ran hard and steady.because the money was good.later,it got to be where we were picking up the slack for drivers who wanted to be home all the time.i personally had to give up a 2300 mile one way run from columbus,ga. to port angelese,washington because a guy had dropped a load of fish on the yard(from the last company in la. that still iced down their fish instead of freezing it)i had to deliver it the next day from olive branch to chicago.all i can say is.if you want a regular scheduled home time,go to the van side.if you want to run and run hard,go to the reefer side.but be prepared to stay out for a while.this is chicken haulin' with a slow truck.and it's not easy.btw, i and the top 30% of the senoir drivers got thrown under the bus by the powers that be in olive branch.i was the second most senior driver on the reefer side.got to be the top senior driver for four days,and was let go like the other senior drivers.when they needed to solve problems,they knew our names well.but when they had to cut back on overhead,they threw all of the senior drivers under the bus to replace them with less experienced drivers.cheaper in pay.and now,because of the economy,they expect you to chickenhaul in a swift truck.and they expect trainees to know how to run like old pros.and if you don't,they will can your butt and put someone else in your seat.simple as that.

6. roadbum

roadbum Bobtail Member

Dec 7, 2009
    hoschton,ga
    and,as far as kr running you sick.i had two incidents of being unfit to drive and forced to.one was from pasco,wa. to memphis,tn. with a broken tooth,no pain killer.and the other was in tye,tx wound up laying flat on the ground when i pinched a psiatic nerve.wound up in the emergency room overnight,shot with two hypos(100cc's apiece)of demerol.and told not to drive for three days by the doctor.i satat the flying j for one day. had a dispatcher tell me i was going to have to get moving.faxed him the doctors report and the prescription i was supposed to be taking,and where i was given demerol.he didn't care and wanted me to get that load to phoenix.i called safety and was told to wait till the effects of the demerol wore off.then hightail it to phoenix.the next day i left tye,and made it to elpaso before i had to stop driving from the pain.laid in a motel in elpaso for two days.when i finally got the pain to subside,i was told i had to get my ### back to the elpaso terminal.because they had sent noone to pick up that load.got kicked off the property of the customer because it was a day late.all this was"my fault"according to the office.

7. GSCS(SW) Retired

GSCS(SW) Retired Bobtail Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Seattle, Wa
    RoadBum I hear you when you are running sick. I was always screwed when I got down to Atlanta by the Olive Branch terminal. I would go Seattle to Atlanta and then Olive Branch would want me to do 100 mile loads with 2 day wait. That was my biggest ##### was Olive Branch terminal.

8. tonymann1800

tonymann1800 Light Load Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Sanford Fl
    I worked for Knight back in 2007 and I had no problems with them at all, of course things do change and I have bee hearing a lot of crap now. Also remember they were backing the OBR law which is crap. Big brother is watching as it is nothing but a stealthy encroachment on our rights.

9. Hamm109

Hamm109 Bobtail Member

Mar 2, 2008
    Wieser Idaho
    Sounds pretty much the same same for all these big outfits.
    Run you till you just refuse to run. Yes, I've refused loads after being 10 days late getting home!

Once for each comp I've worked for,...it's like pushing your buttons to see how far they can push.

10. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    I think it would a good idea that a dispatcher has to sleep in the office on a cot and have to order out food for everyday that a driver is not home on time on condition that the driver has given ample advanced notice of time off request..

11. drvrtech77

drvrtech77 Road Train Member

Mar 20, 2010
    Not saying all dispatchers are bad either, just like anything in life the bad ones always get noticed before the good ones do .I believe the bad ones should be exposed like bad drivers are but the good ones should rewarded like the top drivers are.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.